PDA

View Full Version : Waterpump pully tool?

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Does anyone have a blueprint of a waterpump pully too so that I can remove the clutch fan? Or a link to one...or something?
TIA

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
which tool is it that you need pics/instr for? what is its purpose?

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
to hold the pully from turning when I try to loosen the clutch fan

bjl4776
07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Im sure they have one at your local pep boys or autozone, they tool that is used on fords also fits on the e34, worked for me anyway

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 01:33 PM
like this?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/air_conditioning/clutch_holding_tool.jsp

Bellicose Right Winger
07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
We don't need no stinkin' special tools....Just place your thumb on the belt, to keep pulley from turning, while you whack the wrench with a dead blow hammer.

Paul Shovestul

Does anyone have a blueprint of a waterpump pully too so that I can remove the clutch fan? Or a link to one...or something?
TIA

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
like this?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/air_conditioning/clutch_holding_tool.jsp

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 09:12 PM
even the hez looks like someone was in there and reefed the hell out of it to tighten it...probably has loctite on it with my luck.

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 09:34 PM
i didn't know what the heck you were talking about or asking about. autozone also has the extra thin 36 mm fan wrench for rent, too. you could rent two,. and stick one in the fan blades to keep the clutch from rotating :D

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 10:19 PM
nevermind, I'll mess it all up this weekend trying to get the pump off the thing with the fan on there I guess. Have to put some cardboard inbetween so I dont take out the radiator and Ill beat the mother on the bench. I also was checkin the new pump, I can stick a screwdriver in the impeller and lock the thing up but if its plastic I will have to take it out as a full assembly.

winfred
07-13-2004, 12:42 AM
it's 32mm and you hit the wrench to the drivers side of the car from the top, sometimes you can jam a screwdriver between a 10mm bolt head and the 32mm on the bottom with the wrench on the top, to make a tool, get a piece of flat bar and drill the holes in the end leaving enough metal around the hole so that you don't just rip it out, heres the one i made a couple years ago http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/fc%20tool%201
after about a year i stopped trying to break it, i got real tired of breaking ones that others had made and welding them back together

Unregistered
07-13-2004, 05:32 AM
To amplify the above post, that nut is a left-hand thread and thusly would come off in the same direction as tightening a right-hand thread (clockwise from the front of the car). I don't think anyone has specifically said this in the thread and hopefully this is the cause of your difficulty. If the nut is as difficult to remove as you indicate after striking it in the proper direction, then the use of some tool or fixture is indicated to hold the pulley bolt heads while continuing your removal efforts. Some mechanics install this fan by holding the blades and engaging the nut to the shaft with the engine running releasing, it when the nut is run up. Good luck..........

Paul

bjl4776
07-13-2004, 03:45 PM
The tool that is used to loosen the the fan clutch nut is a big box shaped "u" that goes over the four bolts on the waterpump pully, it has a 1/2" hole for a pressure bar on top. From the driver side of the car push away on that tool while whilling on a thin 32mm wrench. Be careful last one i did was tight too, and as soon as it broke free it really broke free, and me and all of my tools went flying, a little slice on the hand but i got the bitch off

632 Regal
07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
i was thinking about something to bolt on but yours is perfect. I'll make one before the weekend and make sure it works. Yes I know it's reverse thread from lookin at the rotation (and the new pump). Screwdriver into the impeller first and if it has a plastic impeller that breaks I will use the "winfred tool"

632 Regal
07-13-2004, 04:41 PM
it usually requires a couple rags and duct tape for a couple weeks to seal up. Bandaides have a good running for scratches under 1 inch long and 1/2 inch deep.

Thanks for your reply.

;)

Mitch90535im
07-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Of course if you have an m30 you really don't need to remove the fan at all.

632 Regal
07-13-2004, 04:54 PM
:|