PDA

View Full Version : high frequency vibration

ocampg
07-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I have a high frequency vibration coming from the front of the car (89 525i) at any speed over 20 mph. At first, I thought it was the tires, but I have few spares laying around the garage, and no matter what combination of tire set up I used, the vibration was still there. One weird thing I noticed was that it went away when making right turns. I'm thinking the wheel bearing? Though I have heard that usually a bad wheel bearing is diagnosed with "play" in the wheel. Has anybody ever experienced this?
thanks!

632 Regal
07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
wheel bearing will have a whirring sound that increases with the cars speed and not change like when you shift gears. Most of the time there wont be any play unless you let it get really bad.

ocampg
07-13-2004, 07:56 AM
wheel bearing will have a whirring sound that increases with the cars speed and not change like when you shift gears. Most of the time there wont be any play unless you let it get really bad.

not really a whirring... the car almost sounds like one of those civics with the big exhaust tips...The drone inside the cabin is so bad that any objects in my rear view mirror cannot be seen, just a blur...Sorta like when you were a kid, and you drove over a soda can to have it catch between the forks so it would make the "motor" sound, and yes, I checked for obstructions in the wheel well already.

pappapaul
02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I have the exact same problem. Mine developed after changeing my front struts. Mine starts at 35 mph and feels like I have a can of fix a flat in my tires. The viration NOISE seems to resignate and shoot down the car. It's a constant cycle, but does not increase with speed like a wheel bearing. Just curious if you had this resolved?

zygoteer
02-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I had an uncannily similarly described situation in 1967 with a MKII 3.8 OD Jaguar ... turned out to a be a bad batch of tyres ... Dunlop gave me a new set ... but I suppose its unlikely nowadays.

oh well.

Kalevera
02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Have you checked the motor and trans mounts?