PDA

View Full Version : Discount auto parts carries slide caliper bolts/why scissor jacks suck......

ryan roopnarine
07-11-2004, 07:44 PM
i snapped off a caliper bolt doing my back brakes this weekend. i was only trying to apply about 11 ft lbs to it, and figured after a while that it wasn't engaging. everybody there sez: autozone/DAP aint gonna have parts for your car, you're gonna have to go to home depot and get a replacement bolt, and add nuts to it to act as shims. go into dap on a lark, they have the replacement for $5.25 (cute, aint it :) ) before tax. return triumphantly with bolt, only difference is that the end is a 10 mm bolt, as opposed to the allen key the originals are twisted in with........put brakes in, and save $115 over what the indy wanted for it. rotors had an extra 2.0 mm above spec. it seems that every time i go to do a repair on this car, a bolt snaps....must have been due to the fact that it started off life in new york. oh, and while i was waiting for a replacement, this happened. thankfully, license plates down here aren't required on the front, or i'd have to photoshop out the telltale sign. names have been redacted to protect the innocent. :) oh, and i had nothing to do with this....alls i hear about my car from these peope is that its a nazzy- mobile, i threw the nazzy mobile around on the jackstands like i was a raped ape, didn't budge, told them that's what nazzy engineering could do ....unlike some people's cars.......

ryan roopnarine
07-11-2004, 07:47 PM
oh, forgot the most important part......

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/P1020023.JPG

winfred
07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
it coulda dug into the door but it didn't, so don't bitch too hard

ryan roopnarine
07-11-2004, 08:03 PM
i'm not enough of a rocket surgeon to try to use a cheater bar on a car only supported by a scissor jack while someone sits underneath trying to change the brakes....i've changed a flat on the e34 on a slope before....thatn's why i carry at least two chocks around with me now :)

it coulda dug into the door but it didn't, so don't bitch too hard

DanDombrowski
07-12-2004, 08:04 AM
I could just see how this would progress at a Jiffy lube or such:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, yeah, I'm gonna have to charge you extra to put the wheel back on.

But you dropped my car!

......customer declines recommended service.

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 08:10 AM
there, got the pic working again.

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Ryan, if you owned a bmw you would not have these type of problems as only quality metals are used in the make, obviously, and unfortunately not so in your chosen make of car.may i suggest, you might find the answers you need in a mercedes benz owners forum....

Phil M
07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
hahahahaha

ryan owns an e34. the benz is fictitious.

Ryan, if you owned a bmw you would not have these type of problems as only quality metals are used in the make, obviously, and unfortunately not so in your chosen make of car.may i suggest, you might find the answers you need in a mercedes benz owners forum....

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 10:11 AM
thank god, ryan does own a bmw, he is human after all...lol...cheers...(hopefully i will understand his humour one day.....but i doubt it)

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
the benz is all too ficticious while i'm cruising around on one bank of 7 cylinders....but when i floor it and all 14 kick in, its all taillights for anyone unfortunate enough to race me................

hahahahaha

ryan owns an e34. the benz is fictitious.

Phil M
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
unless its a Bugatti Chiron V18 :P

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/bugatti/183chiron_2.jpg

the benz is all too ficticious while i'm cruising around on one bank of 7 cylinders....but when i floor it and all 14 kick in, its all taillights for anyone unfortunate enough to race me................

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
and i thought v12 was over the top.....

ryan roopnarine
07-12-2004, 10:28 AM
that bugatti is about two cyl's too short to keep up with me. here's the engine that i plan to put in the e34. its two conjoined H-10's (opposed). redlines at about 850 rpm. also got the northstar system :D the only thing that's louder than the clacka clacka clacka of the diesel motor is the sobs coming from the bugatti driver's realization of his shattered dreams. this pic was taken when my mechanic(s) were completing an inspection II on the last car it was installed in :)

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/s3a.jpg

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 10:31 AM
and then you woke up? lol