PDA

View Full Version : Heated Window Washer Noozles?

Brewster
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
I have a 1990 E34 535i, 5 speed, prod date 7/90 with 95K miles. I believe the car has the "cold package" option as it has heated seats and limited slip differential.

One of my window washer noozle is blocked and not shooting out any fluid. Looking for a replacement, I see there is both a *heated* washer noozle, p/n 61661378799 and a non-heated washer noozle, p/n 61661379735. How do I know which one I have? Thanks, Brewster

Jon K
07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
I have a 1990 E34 535i, 5 speed, prod date 7/90 with 95K miles. I believe the car has the "cold package" option as it has heated seats and limited slip differential.

One of my window washer noozle is blocked and not shooting out any fluid. Looking for a replacement, I see there is both a *heated* washer noozle, p/n 61661378799 and a non-heated washer noozle, p/n 61661379735. How do I know which one I have? Thanks, Brewster

If you know for sure you have the cold wather package... ie. lsd, seats, mirrors, then you have the heated nozzles also. I have cold weather package. Mine isn't clogged but it started spitting out a little funky on one stream. I am going to make a acidic solution to soak them in, if it works I will let you know. As far as replacement, you want the heated ones.

rickm
07-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Jon, try soaking them in vinegar. the nozzles on my wife's volvo clogged up an an overnight soak in this did the trick. I heated the vinegar first to help soften any deposits. You can also use a pin to help clear them out.

Bill in MA
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM
If you peel back the underhood blanket, there will be wires and a small harness connector that go each nozzle. As others have said here, I'd try cleaning them first..

Bellicose Right Winger
07-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Pull down the hood liner and see if there are wires going to nozzles. I was able to disassemble the nozzle, clean the crud out and get it working again. The window sticker for my '90 535ia lists heated seats and LSD as two separate options. It doesn't list a "cold package" and I do have heated washer nozzles. Sticker also says heated outside mirrors are standard, but there's no mention of washer nozzles.

Paul Shovestul

winfred
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
i find most e34s have heated squirters, you can take them apart and dig the crud out sometimes, the rest of the time it's toast and time for a new set

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 08:06 AM
My understanding is all SE (special equipment) versions of the E34 have heated nozzles - that come on with the heated rear screen and mirrors. My mirrors get nice and hot, but I have seen the nozzles covered in frost at the same time! Does this suggest they are both on the same circuit and my nozzles have had it - time for a new pair?

Simon Daubeney, York UK. 530i SE, 5 spd, M30 engine on 17" Alpinas.

Don (Ireland)
07-12-2004, 08:38 AM
I certainly don't have them on my 520iSE (95). Wish I did though. Saw a retrofit description on Total BMW magazine, looked a bit involved.

Don

winfred
07-12-2004, 08:41 AM
i personally question the need for them, by time they work, the engine has produced enough heat to thaw them and the lines, however the fluid tank can be a block of ice, mercedes thinks enough the heat the tank

Brewster
07-12-2004, 11:47 AM
It looks like I'm getting the heated noozle (about $25) for my 535i. It does need replacing as I broke one of the pins I used to clean the noozle and that's part of why it doesn't spray. Thanks again! Brewster

Dan in NZ
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM
The heated nozzles are kinda neat and kinda useless. The other day when my car was frosty, I started the engine, and by the time I had scraped the windscreen, the nozzles, back window and mirrors were steaming.

When I say kinda useless... Another time I was driving to work early in the morning on a cold day, I squirted the washer, and the water instantly froze to the windscreen! (I now get the bmw anti-freezing washer concentrate).

Mercedes have thought it through a bit more, I've seen one that had a coil of coolant pipe in the washer reservoir, with a low temp (40-50celcius???) thermostat to keep the washer fluid warm when the car is running, but not at full coolant temperature to evaporate the washer fluid...

The simplest way, which hasn't been mentioned yet, to see if your car has heated nozzles, is to touch the nozzle after the car has been running. The nozzles are heated all the time just like the mirrors.