PDA

View Full Version : 1990 525i running hot and using oil...

Dan in NZ
07-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Two weeks ago I got the "ENGINE OIL LOW", it had been 7000km since an oil change, so I topped it up and thought nothing of it. Today (2 weeks and 2000km later), I was surprised to get the message again, and saw that it needed another 3/4 of a liter. This engine normally goes 10,000km between changes without using a drop.

Also the engine temp has been up a bit, it used to sit dead-center and hardly move at all no matter what. Lately it's been about 1-2 needle widths hotter than the middle, and often climbs up to almost 3/4 going up hills, or slowing down after driving fast.

I did think I noticed a bearing sound at idle the other day, could it be a bad oil pump leaking and causing the engine to run hot???

I wouldn't be surprised if the thermostat was bad, in the last year I've replaced almost everything else attached to the cooling system including the water pump. Hopefully if the oil pump was bad it would fix everything!!!

ryan roopnarine
07-11-2004, 08:55 AM
that sounds like your water pump is going bad, especially with the "bearing" noise and the increase in temerature at reduced speeds( mine did something similar when it was going bad). i'd check the shaft of it for play, and if your DIY enough, i'd strongly consider just giving in and changing the thing (especially if it was a rebuilt unit with warranty remaining) proactively .

Two weeks ago I got the "ENGINE OIL LOW", it had been 7000km since an oil change, so I topped it up and thought nothing of it. Today (2 weeks and 2000km later), I was surprised to get the message again, and saw that it needed another 3/4 of a liter. This engine normally goes 10,000km between changes without using a drop.

Also the engine temp has been up a bit, it used to sit dead-center and hardly move at all no matter what. Lately it's been about 1-2 needle widths hotter than the middle, and often climbs up to almost 3/4 going up hills, or slowing down after driving fast.

I did think I noticed a bearing sound at idle the other day, could it be a bad oil pump leaking and causing the engine to run hot???

I wouldn't be surprised if the thermostat was bad, in the last year I've replaced almost everything else attached to the cooling system including the water pump. Hopefully if the oil pump was bad it would fix everything!!!

Dan in NZ
07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
that sounds like your water pump is going bad, especially with the "bearing" noise and the increase in temerature at reduced speeds

The water pump was a brand new OEM fitted at the dealer 10 months ago.

ryan roopnarine
07-11-2004, 07:03 PM
what "brand" OEM was it? apparently some are not as good as others. it is entirely possible that this unit is defective (regardless of the length of time its been in). in north america, we have a significant warranty on all dealer parts, wonder if you could voice your concern about it, and the fact that the rest of your cooling system has been replaced. your symptoms sound like when my water pump was slowly dying....the temperature would fluctuate depending upon the speed you were going. on the highway, temp would be ok, on the offramp, it would begin to fluctuate, when you were driving at 35 mph/60kph it would be a little warmer than expected, at 45 mph, it would be normal again.

The water pump was a brand new OEM fitted at the dealer 10 months ago.

Dan in NZ
07-12-2004, 12:10 AM
what "brand" OEM was it? apparently some are not as good as others. it is entirely possible that this unit is defective (regardless of the length of time its been in). in north america, we have a significant warranty on all dealer parts, wonder if you could voice your concern about it, and the fact that the rest of your cooling system has been replaced. your symptoms sound like when my water pump was slowly dying....the temperature would fluctuate depending upon the speed you were going. on the highway, temp would be ok, on the offramp, it would begin to fluctuate, when you were driving at 35 mph/60kph it would be a little warmer than expected, at 45 mph, it would be normal again.

Thanks for that Ryan, I don't know the brand, just that it's a bmw one... I'm taking it in tomorrow if it turns out to be the water pump I'll start complaining. Put another half-liter of oil in today *gasp* at the gas station, and noticed drips in the college parking lot about every 2 meters where I drove in, so I've got a major oil leak! the engine is so dirty that I can't actually tell where the oil is leaking... but I'll get the dealer to look at that too. Hopefully it's just a cheap seal somewhere.