PDA

View Full Version : Anyone local have an exhaust stud?

Craig
07-10-2004, 09:52 PM
I snapped mine off tonight putting the car back together. This is the stud between the manifold and the exhaust pipe, not the one that goes into the head.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Jr ///M5
07-10-2004, 10:11 PM
The bolt is spot welded into place. Using a mini-grinder or a heavy duty type dremel tool, locate and grind off the weld spots only, without going through the exhaust piping or flange. Hammer out the broken stud, and replace with an exhaust bolt and washers to back up the flange. Just remember that next time you will probably need to use a torch to remove the replacement bolts.

Craig
07-10-2004, 10:46 PM
These were screw in units. The others all came out easily but this one apparently was damaged.

Jr ///M5
07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
No recourse except for the correct size of drill and tap. Damn, I hate it when that happens, and it always happens on the exhaust manifolds and flanges.

Craig
07-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah, and it always happens at just about the worst possible time/place too.

Jeff N.
07-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey Craig...I detest those studs. Know exactly which one's your talking about. Every time I put a wrench on them I'm afraid they are going to twist off. When I did this, I was able to get quickie replacement from NAPA. The stealer ordered up the right one (for like $9 or something).

Now, every time I think of touching one, I hose the sucker down the with PB Blaster or similar. Haven't had one twist off or even come close since I started doing this.

Martin in Bellevue
07-11-2004, 11:50 AM
They're yours.
baconmartin@hotmail.com