PDA

View Full Version : Help - Power steering fluid leak

Scott E
07-10-2004, 06:32 PM
While finally changing the oil and tranny fluid today (I am so embarassed how overdue it was) I notice the power steering fluid res was low yet again.

Looking at the hoses attached underneath I noticed one was a worm-drive type of clamp and the other has a crimp type (and appears to be leaking).

My question is can it this a special hose/fitting or can I replace it with a worm-drive clamp?

Maybe I should take a pic...a nice 1800x1200 for the dial-up users...lol

TIA

Jr ///M5
07-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Use a dremel with an abrasive blade and safety glasses of course. Cut the high part of the crimp in half, careful of where the sparks are flying. The ends are sharp, and they are hot, so act accordingly when you peel the old band off. Replace it with another worm gear hose clamp and you're good to go.

ryan roopnarine
07-10-2004, 10:23 PM
i believe that autozone rents the crimp clamp manipulation pliers.....i'd go into one when it's not busy and ask if the person can confirm or deny whether that clamp (underhood, of course) can be opened up with their pliers. don't believe the rent is more than 15 dollars, refunded upon return, and sure beats tryign to rip it open with needlenose or trying to cut it off as Jr. suggested.

Robert K
07-10-2004, 11:58 PM
The first thing I did was empty the reservoir as well as I could. Then I took a pair of wire cutters and cut all of the crimp type connectors off. I then removed all of the power steering hoses and wiped them down until they were dry. I then wiped the reservoir down until it was dry as well. I then reassembled the whole thing using regular stainless screw type clamps. That took care of my power steering leaks!

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i