PDA

View Full Version : help! anyone online know how to remove the wood trim by the shifter?

ScottyWM
07-10-2004, 01:47 PM
'93 525 iT automatic. Got the shift knob off. Lifted up on the wood at the front by the ashtry. But it feels like it's stuck on something in the middle? Can't lift it up enough to slide the back out. Fells like it's going to snap.

Just finished re-installing my headliner and pillar covers. Did that all myself - what fun! Figured I replace the broken shift slider strip... But can't get to it!

tia

Scott

billb
07-10-2004, 02:37 PM
'93 525 iT automatic. Got the shift knob off. Lifted up on the wood at the front by the ashtry. But it feels like it's stuck on something in the middle? Can't lift it up enough to slide the back out. Fells like it's going to snap.

Just finished re-installing my headliner and pillar covers. Did that all myself - what fun! Figured I replace the broken shift slider strip... But can't get to it!

tia

Scott

I took a VERY small screwdriver and bent the tip about 1/2" back 90 degrees. There are two detents left and right at the front. If you go in at about 1.5 inches from each side, you should hit it about right. Lift one side slightly, then lift the other. You'll feel it come up. At the rear are only slides to hold it down, but the detents are at the front. I've had mine out several times, once to replace the slider, and others to just clean it all up. Spilled Cokes will make it harder to lift up. A little Son of a Gun under the wood, where it lays in, and it will be easier to get up next time (joke in there somewhere...)

Good luck,
Bill B.(sweatin' over here west of 55!)

ScottyWM
07-10-2004, 02:46 PM
It seemed like the wood separated from a backer board? The wood is loose in the front and right side, won't budge from the left side by the A/M switch.

I'll try it again.... Sweatin' over here too. It just rained, but it was like it never even hit the ground.

Scott

ScottyWM
07-10-2004, 03:46 PM
The plastic board was about 3/8" from the front, so I had been just pulling on the wood. Thanks for reinforcing what I thought was right.

I did bust 2 plastic tabs on the shifter surround :( but it still looks okay. I think it may very well be the only little plastic thing I've ever broke on this car though in all the many, many, many repairs I've tried!

Scott