PDA

View Full Version : Holy Microfilter, Batman!

billb
07-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Okay, it's been 15.5k since the last microfilter change on the 525...12/26/02. Here's what I found tonight during the replacement...

Also a gratuitous shot of us visiting the Air and Space Museum at Dulles...very cool, if you've not been yet.

Bill B.

Unregistered
07-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Nice pic

billb
01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
...here's the latest.

12/26/02-7/9/04 15.5k miles
7/9/04-1/19/06 14.3k miles

Springfield1952
01-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Ouch! Where are you driving that thing - through a coal mine? :)

Curt.

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I consiously shut the flaps off if in dirty locations, or salt. It is nice not to breathe the crap outside expecially when my kids with me, plus the added bonus of not having to clean the dash every other day like any of my other cars.

I do the same with the throttle in dusty places, even tho the air filter traps most, im shutting down except what it draws at closed throttle...cant hurt.
I see people gas it when they see a lot of dust, sad really...maybe their cell phone gets worse reception or something.

Jon K
01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Thats not actually that bad - mine hadnt been replaced until about 160k, my having driven the car for 60k. Who knows when it was replaced prior to that.

calmloki
01-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Hmm - Due to a toal lack of air flow I just ripped the dash apart on my new to me 152,000 525iT and split the heater enclosure because I was sure my flappers were inop - only to find the cabin filter was plugged up big time! Sheesh! Makes me wonder how non-filtered heater cores manage to work "forever" without getting plugged up...
Tom Walrod

NovceGuru
01-20-2006, 02:33 AM
I had my blower motor out not to long ago and I couldn't believe how much crap was around my heater core, I was suprised it even worked. Nothing the Shop Vac couldn't handle though. I'm curious how bad my microfilter is, my car does have a slight "odor" to it, i'm sure its not the milkshake a certain passenger dropped between the seats.......

NovceGuru

billb
01-20-2006, 07:47 AM
...if you followed my thread, you saw that the same filter that I took out yesterday, all dirty, was the same filter I installed in 2004, all clean (and white). It truly is that dirty over 15k miles. That's why it's on the replacement schedule at Inspection I and Inspection II.

DanDombrowski
01-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I have a picture of mine somewhere that looked pretty bad, I assumed it had never been replaced. Not so sure now.

I really don't feel like replacing it again, its been like 30k for me.

Oh, that plane in the background. I've seen it somewhere, but where though? Nice pic, will have to go sometime.

NovceGuru
01-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Also a gratuitous shot of us visiting the Air and Space Museum at Dulles...very cool, if you've not been yet.

Bill B.

:p

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Dan I can replace mine in about 5 minutes, once you do it its real easy dude.

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 01:09 PM
My car doesn't have one of those, does it?

I believe I am the only filter for pot smoke in my car.

Jon K
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah i dreaded it at first. Then, I realized, wow this isn't so hard!

DanH
01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
...they don't work forever. Mine heater core had most of the fins clogged up with junk when I changed my blower out, since it doesnt have a microfilter. Blew a bit better with new(used) blower, but needs a thorough cleaning to get good airflow, would be much easier to change the filter.

Hmm - Due to a toal lack of air flow I just ripped the dash apart on my new to me 152,000 525iT and split the heater enclosure because I was sure my flappers were inop - only to find the cabin filter was plugged up big time! Sheesh! Makes me wonder how non-filtered heater cores manage to work "forever" without getting plugged up...
Tom Walrod

Russell
01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Mine has been in 25,000 miles since I last changed it. I still have good air volume, but can tell it is reduced.. However, I wonder how ofter other people change the cabin filter.

billb
01-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Mine has been in 25,000 miles since I last changed it. I still have good air volume, but can tell it is reduced.. However, I wonder how ofter other people change the cabin filter.
...here's a good link.
http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/microfilter.htm

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 03:23 PM
My car doesn't have one of those, does it?

Anyone?

Russell
01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
seems too often for the amount of work

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 03:32 PM
LOL

seems too often for the amount of work
5 minutes is too much work?

calmloki
01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Anyone?
From BillB's link above:
"MicroFilter Replacement
The microfilter was added in the '91 model year and is truly the worst engineering kludge on the E34 series. It must be replaced every 15,000 miles"

I don't think the link fully explores the hatred felt while trying to get the new microfilter in w/out scrubbing the fins on the AC evaporator core and trying to get the cover back on properly. I will confess that I found life much easier after clipping the tab that stuck out from the end of the microfilter, noting that the direction of airflow through the filter was maintained. Still had spring pressure and mated into the slot that can be seen waaay in there.
Tom Walrod

Russell
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
The job takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to remove/replace all the under dash items such as duct work, glove box etc. Not to mention the contortions required. Not good for my back!

If you can do it in 5 minutes the proper way, you are superman.

Your comments lead people to truly believe it is a 5 minute job. If can rease do this job in 5 minutes, please post your technique if you can do it in 5 minutes. I want to change mine this weekend. i have the filter ready.

BTW, I have changed mine in the past, so I have at least some experience.

billb
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
The job takes at least 45 minute to an hour to remove/replace all the under dash items such as duct work, glove box etc. Not to mention the contortions required. Not good for my back.

If you can do it in 5 minutes the proper way, you are superman. Also, I do not deserve be insulted like you just did.

Your comments lead people to truly believe it is a 5 minute job. If so, please post your technique if you can do it in 5 minutes. I want to change mine this weekend

BTW, I have changed mine in the past, so i have at least some experience.

5 minutes of that was realigning the glovebox so it would shut properly. I agree, it's not a 5-minute job.

dacoyote
01-20-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL

5 minutes is too much work?

I am going to buy a microfilter and drive up to jeffs with my video camera.....

I wanta see Jeff do it in 5 minutes.....

mikell
01-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Mine gets changed annually. About 20 minutes for me, and worth it

Russell
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
how do you do it so quick?

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
tricks...

first thing have your phillips, torx and a small screwdriver handy.

Open door, open glove box, disconnect the straps.

Close box, reach under and unclip the clamps.

Open box and move away.

Seat all the way back.

Remove the side carpet deal.

remove the vent tube (trick, dont replace the connector, rip the old one out)

Remove the torx bit and the filter cover.

Remove and replace filter, looking at it only adds time.

Slam beer.

Replace tube and carpet deal.

Slip the glovebox clamps to the rod with box attached.

center and close box.

shut the clamps.

Open box and attach straps.

Close box and door.

done...check time.

inspect old filter.

Post how dirty it was on bimmer.info

If you post pictures you wasted more time if the new one is in the same picture.

:D

pyro
01-20-2006, 11:40 PM
i repplaced mine the other week and it had never been repplaced for 170k miles.... um lets jsut say i have jsut about every speices of bug and incect in there.

R1daveg
01-21-2006, 06:10 AM
This is a collection of good aussie flora and fauna changed out this month...

BTW, is there an aftermarket two piece filter available?
I sourced a one piece which was same size etc as original, but could not fit it due to access around the steering column.. (RHD car) in dollar terms it was $20 aftermarket vs. $128 genuine. :(

shogun
01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Usually you can pull the halfes apart to fit for RHD.
here should be an instruction on how to do on RHD
http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=18