PDA

View Full Version : warren or any electrical people, what can you use to re cal. a ohm meter...

ryan roopnarine
07-09-2004, 12:59 PM
this one i have is showing about +/- 5 ohms on the 200 ohm scale in a closed loop (using the leads as the only circuit) . i would like to check this ballast resistor to see if it is suitable for aux fan use, but i'm getting about 1.5 ohms, and i know about .2 of that is leads. is there some common household object that i could re zero this thing on, or perhaps a cheap way (a specific composition resistor) that i could use to somewhat accurately set this thing??? TIA.

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 01:17 PM
cant you take it apart and adjust the spring with a small screwdriver? Whats up with the leads? looks like your getting 1.3 ohms on the balance resistor, whats the resistance supposed to be?

ryan roopnarine
07-09-2004, 01:18 PM
there's a marking i didn't see before, engraved on the resistor is a 1.2, so i guess i'll assume thats ohms. ill go back and see if the 4 post one can be wired as to give the proper resistance.

cant you take it apart and adjust the spring with a small screwdriver? Whats up with the leads? looks like your getting 1.3 ohms on the balance resistor, whats the resistance supposed to be?

Warren N.CA
07-10-2004, 11:31 AM
the metal of the connectors on the test leads.- Both where they plug into the meter, and at the probe tips. Cleaning these should get rid of most of it, and more important, give you a stable closed circuit reading of perhaps 0.5 Ohms. Once you get to that point, you simply subtract the resistance of the test leads from any reading you take.

this one i have is showing about +/- 5 ohms on the 200 ohm scale in a closed loop (using the leads as the only circuit) . i would like to check this ballast resistor to see if it is suitable for aux fan use, but i'm getting about 1.5 ohms, and i know about .2 of that is leads. is there some common household object that i could re zero this thing on, or perhaps a cheap way (a specific composition resistor) that i could use to somewhat accurately set this thing??? TIA.

MBXB
07-10-2004, 11:36 AM
The measurement of the resistor may itself vary a little since you're not dealing with a Mil spec item.