PDA

View Full Version : I am going to go see a Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD

Bruno
07-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Yep, I am going to the dark side...
I realised that the more I invest in the E36 race car... the less it will be driveable on the street.

I cannot afford an X5 to tow the thing... so I have to bite the bullet and buy a Jeep to tow it.

I hate SUV... but knowing the snow in winter, a 4x4 wouldn't be too bad.

I know you all hate me :-( I did think about a E39 740i, but I don't know if that can tow some heavy loads...

Craig
07-09-2004, 11:36 AM
What year? My wife drives a Grand Cherokee. Nice car, but not something I'd tow a 3200 pound car with.

winfred
07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
research the transfer case if you get something with quadratrack or whatever they call it, i did a couple in the managers dad's truck, they had a few shitty ones with full time 4wd

I realised that the more I invest in the E36 race car... the less it will be driveable on the street.

I cannot afford an X5 to tow the thing... so I have to bite the bullet and buy a Jeep to tow it.

I know you all hate me :-( I did think about a E39 740i, but I don't know if that can tow some heavy loads...

Bruno
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
It is a 1996.

So you think it isn't good for towing??? Bouhouuuu, what should I get then?

What is the towing problem???

http://photoserver1.trader.ca/autotrader/photos/large/2004/07-02/tfx/07-02-04tfx33-04.jpeg

Phil M
07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
What about a Land Rover Range Rover? (pre 2002) They are bulletproof and you wont have to venture into the uncertain world of domestics. It should handle a e36 with ease. 4.0L V8 and 4.6L V8 HSE versions. 1995-2002 are basically the same suv. I think that the look is classic and not robocopish like the new rovers.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2004/6/29/166/023/914555450.166023021.IM1.03.565x421_A.565x380.jpg

Craig
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
My wife's is a '96 too, with the 5.2L.

The tow capacity is listed as 6200 pounds I think, but a 3200 pound car plus 1500 pounds of trailer plus 500 pounds of gear will put you up too close to the limit IMO. It would be fine for trailering a Miata or something, but an M3 might be a lot to ask.

If it were me I'd get something in a 3/4 ton truck, you can pick those up used for fairly cheap.

Bruno
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
My wife's is a '96 too, with the 5.2L.

The tow capacity is listed as 6200 pounds I think, but a 3200 pound car plus 1500 pounds of trailer plus 500 pounds of gear will put you up too close to the limit IMO. It would be fine for trailering a Miata or something, but an M3 might be a lot to ask.

If it were me I'd get something in a 3/4 ton truck, you can pick those up used for fairly cheap.

Will Z is towing his E34 M5 with a E32 750il with tires and gear in the trunk...
So the E32 is a better towing machine than the Jeep????

I know that BMWs are good... but...

Bruno
07-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I considered a lot of cars ,and I must say that the jeep isn't the most reliable one...

But at least I can get the parts from anywhere heheeh And it will be cheap to own.

I have some mix feelings about rovers since I owned one in France and I had major problems with the engine.

Craig
07-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Will Z is towing his E34 M5 with a E32 750il with tires and gear in the trunk...
So the E32 is a better towing machine than the Jeep????

I know that BMWs are good... but...

IMO he's asking for trouble doing that. It could be done, but the car isn't really set up for it (tranny cooler, extra braking capacity, etc).

It's your call. The Jeep could do it but if it were me (and my family riding with me) I'd get a bigger truck. Ideally I'd use a motorhome for racing since you can sleep in it and save on hotels.

mikey535im
07-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Bruno,
1998 JGC Limited was offered with a 5.9(360cid) engine w/gobs of stump pulling torque, yet only came in Quadratrac (all time 4 wheel drive) and ate up front diffs and transfer cases(as Winfred mentioned) ,and piss poor gas mileage.Other than that very comfy fully optioned vehicles.
Mike

MicahO
07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
For towing - get a full size, american 2wd van, perhaps a 2wd Sub. Seems (to me) that you're just begging for trouble if you are using a 4wd like that for a tow vehicle. I'd also not use a Rover in that capacity. You mention easy access to parts, can't go wrong with a full size Ford, and you can keep a lot of parts inside and out of the rain. Big Club Wagons are dirt cheap, even just one year old they are something like 50% or more off list, and they tow a ridiculous amount of weight.

As for snow (seeing how you live in Canadia), I've not seen many vehicles that get around in snow, even deep snow, better than my 8800lb GVW Club Wagon with 2 full tanks of gas and chains on the back.

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Micas on the right track here, I have an old GMC 4x4 full size and used that to tow the racecar around for a few years before the first divorce. It was nice having enough room for all the crap and the ability to tow. The 4x4 option was the greatest thing cause I drive that in the winter when it's not good Bimmer weather, parts are next door, easy to work on if you have to and there pretty cheap these days. Just make sure whatever you get has under 100k miles cause there pretty trouble free till about the 140 mile mark, then its trans and engine time.

sbcncsu
07-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Bruno,

I am on my second ZJ (Grand Cherokees from 1993 to 1998). My 1993 went to 160K miles and the current is up to 96K. The current is a 1996 GC Limited V8. It does have quadratrac as do all V8 ZJ 4x4s. There are a couple of weak links in the ZJ.

First is the rear end housing. The Axle is a Dana 44A, the "A" stands for Aluminum. To reduce weight, the center section of the axle is made of aluminum. Due to the heat generated by the diff and carrier rotating, the bearing races become loose and will rotate in the housing, machining away at the housing. It is easily noticed as a roar in the rear.

Next is the NP or NV249 transfer case. To divide power between the two axles a viscous coupling is used. This device works great when it is working properly but really wreaks havoc when it doesn't. It is not a cheap part to replace either with part price from the dealer around $550.

I really like the ride, the performance and the overall quality of the Grand Cherokee. Like I said, this is my second one.

As for towing, the V8 4x4's have a maximum towing capacity with a load distributing hitch of 6500 lb. I have used both of my Jeeps to tow a 20' boat on a tandem trailer. The boat weighs well over 5000 lbs and just shy of 6000. The brakes are barely adequate for that weight but a good set of trailer or surge brakes helps out immensely.

You could pop in over at www.nagca.com or at www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum to gather more information.

If I were you, I would look at the 2000-2002 WJ V8. The WJ uses an engine that is currently being used, the 4.7L V8. It also hides the spare tire under the load floor freeing up gobs of room in the cargo area. The 2003-2004's underwent major decontenting. See www.wjjeeps.com.

HTH.

Bruno
07-09-2004, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=MicahO]For towing - get a full size, american 2wd van, perhaps a 2wd Sub. Seems (to me) that you're just begging for trouble if you are using a 4wd like that for a tow vehicle. I'd also not use a Rover in that capacity. You mention easy access to parts, can't go wrong with a full size Ford, and you can keep a lot of parts inside and out of the rain. Big Club Wagons are dirt cheap, even just one year old they are something like 50% or more off list, and they tow a ridiculous amount of weight.

As for snow (seeing how you live in Canadia), I've not seen many vehicles that get around in snow, even deep snow, better than my 8800lb GVW Club Wagon with 2 full tanks of gas and chains on the back.[/QUOTE

Until I buy another BMW for a daily driver, the Jeep will be my daily driver...
I don't see myself buying a Club wagon... this aren't going to be a car just for the track and pit crew... I will use it maybe three to 5 times a year to tow the race car, the rest of the time it will be my daily driver... I still want to sit my butt in leather seats heehhe

George M
07-09-2004, 04:48 PM
bout time you bought American Bruno...LOL. Would much prefer the Range Rover that
Phil posted...I always liked those but probably a lot more long green.
As to the the E-32 750iL pulling the M5...nope. Sorry to disagree with my friend but truth be told the M5 was the mule and the E-32 was the track star.
:-)
George...just got the CD43 installed...yeah baby!....write up coming.

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 07:50 AM
remind me not to buy that 735il towing the world around when you pull the backside out of it and want to get rid of her lol..i would not tow a box trailor with a range rover or a jeep ... ever heard of toyota landcruiser??

winfred
07-12-2004, 08:45 AM
the only way id tow with a e34/32 would be if i had a euro hitch, that class one trunk floor ripping bumper pulling off piece if **** is about the only thing on the market, about all it's good for is a jetski or lawn mower

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 09:44 AM
could be good for a chain saw or go cart as well winfred ....lol

BigD
07-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Don't worry guys Will knows what he's doing. The brakes are from an 840 and the hitch is heavy duty and he has a tranny cooler. The load levelling suspension also handles the extra rear weight perfectly. He's been using it for years with 0 problems (towing to all kinds of tracks in the US). I've been in the car several times and the only problem that I noticed is it requires some towing experience and a bit of nerve. We were once driving in hard crosswind and the trailer can have its way with the car.

I would get a DIESEL GMC or Ford truck. Those twin wheel heavy duty Fords can be chipped to run 12s quarters!!! Something stupid like close to 1000 ft lbs of torque. And if you get a GMC with a 350 V8, if anything happens, you go to ANY junk yard, and you have your choice of 50 engines from all kinds of cars.

the only way id tow with a e34/32 would be if i had a euro hitch, that class one trunk floor ripping bumper pulling off piece if **** is about the only thing on the market, about all it's good for is a jetski or lawn mower

TimGinCentralNJ
07-12-2004, 12:07 PM
research the transfer case if you get something with quadratrack or whatever they call it, i did a couple in the managers dad's truck, they had a few shitty ones with full time 4wd

TimGinCentralNJ
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
...the 4.0L inline 6 or the 5.2L V8 motors. The only reason I know is because I was helping a friend research "good" prod years for these vehicles, and I believe 1996 came up as a "problem" year across the board with the Cherokee.

Hope that helps,
Tim G

It is a 1996.

So you think it isn't good for towing??? Bouhouuuu, what should I get then?

What is the towing problem???

http://photoserver1.trader.ca/autotrader/photos/large/2004/07-02/tfx/07-02-04tfx33-04.jpeg

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 12:41 PM
i (unfortunately) had a 1996 jeep grand cherokee larado it,(along with many others that i know of) developed a bizarre (whirling) sound over 35 miles an hour. the sound seems to be coming from the around the front diff region. i got rid of it before i got to the root of the problem. i had a feeling of "things are going wrong" everytime i drove it. aside from this i do not think the vechicle is capable of towing a laden box trailor over any distance. basically i think you should look elsewhere.

p.s. i have nothing against jeeps, i have previoulsy owned a wrangler sport and a cherokee limited and both gave me excellent service and i enjoyed both muchly ;)

1992 BMW 535i
07-12-2004, 01:01 PM

I have a 2001 Durango R/T with the 5.9L. It'll tow 7500lbs and still go 90MPH. The 4.0L six will do the job, lots of torque and decent horsepower and the parts to repair it are cheap. Look to the Durango if you want to tow...

ryan roopnarine
07-21-2004, 09:38 AM
i saw this pdf on my computer, remembered that these people have an annual tow ratings sheet that they put out every year. pretty throrough, and a convenient way to consider things

http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/tr_index.cfm

bimmerd00d
07-21-2004, 10:13 AM
we've had a few Grand Cherokees, 4.0L, 5.2, and 5.9. None have been reliable. Had a '93, '98, and '99. They are great up til about 80k, then they start losing reliability. What coincidence, just before the extended warranty was up ours started eating ECU's and diffs. the 2 V8's had Quadra-trac, and the I6 had Selec-trac. I'd go more for a 2dr Tahoe if i were you. 1995 was the best year, had the airbags and such, and the best motor/transmission that GM ever made. We have a '94 suburban with 236k on it and the transmission is as good as new, the only thing it's been in the shop for was the a/c. We've put one alternator on there, and changed the a/c compressor. Other than that the motor and tranny are completely original. And it'll tow like a sumbitch

winfred
07-21-2004, 10:28 AM
the bosses 96 burb has been decent at 178 it's had about 4 alternators one factory tranny about 10k ago one o2 sensor a couple weeks ago and i just did the compressor last week, the dexcool **** ate the plastic intake gaskets that was a fun job a few years ago, a radiator and a few ac control panels.
i know a guy with a 94 that's eaten several heater cores, he says they look like they had a hole blown in them

We have a '94 suburban with 236k on it and the transmission is as good as new, the only thing it's been in the shop for was the a/c. We've put one alternator on there, and changed the a/c compressor. Other than that the motor and tranny are completely original. And it'll tow like a sumbitch

Rick L
07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I had to disagree, Bruno. I have 1996 Grand Cherokee (V8 5.2 with quadra-Trac) and had almost no problem for 6 years. I purchased it used in 1998 with 28k miles and now it has 120k miles. Only problem I had was the radio (replaced under warranty) and that's it. This car has been most reliable car I have ever owned! It is still running strong without any problems. Also, I could pull the boat that weights almost 6000 lbs. without any problems. The Jeep's V8 has alot of torque to perform many task. I heard people say Jeeps are not reliable but after owning one, I would purchase another without any hesitation. :)

I considered a lot of cars ,and I must say that the jeep isn't the most reliable one...

But at least I can get the parts from anywhere heheeh And it will be cheap to own.

I have some mix feelings about rovers since I owned one in France and I had major problems with the engine.

rickm
07-21-2004, 10:42 AM
I had a 78 J20 that was solid as a rock and later had a 78 Wagoneer which was great too. Before I bought my wife's Volvo we looked at a newer Cherokee but the quality wasn't there. Way too many rattles plus her boss had to lemon law hers to get into something else.

The J20 would easily haul a bed full of shingles without making a peep.

Warren N.CA
07-21-2004, 11:42 AM
the vehicle was problematic, with high frequency of repairs.

Joed3
07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Been a tech for 25 yrs lots of problems with all jeeps hate to break the news. order an evap core now by the time it comes in you'll need one :o)

Sweetwater
07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I haven't owned a Jeep, but co-workers and friends have almost all had drive train or engine problems. Also, many reports of electrical probs. And nobody buys them to tow.

My tow of choice has been a '97 Ford since it was new. Now at 43K and only replaced rubber and brakes. Rotors are not high quality as stockers. My experiences tell me that bigger models, F250 and F350, are steady and easy to have repaired or DIY.

Retired relatives who own 5th wheelers and tow as a lifestyle tell me that the community of 5th wheelers prefer and buy the dually Dodge diesel variety. They are on their second one since retiring about 10 years ago. Claim that those big Dodges are bullet proof, but I've heard from mechanics who say the brakes and rotors are cheaply built, worse than the Fords....

Rick L
07-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I guess I’m lucky with my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Like I said, I never had a mechanical problem of any type with this car since 1998 (purchase year). Only problem was the radio that was replaced under warranty. Too bad couldn’t say the same thing for my 1995 BMW 525i. I had fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, driver’s seat rail, fog light circuit, windshield pump seal, and right side seat-belt tensioner replaced. I had to say it; I had most problems with my 1995 525i than any other of my cars I have owned. :( My BIMMER only has 76k miles now…

western99
07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Bruno

My dad has a Chevy Suburban. Those vehicles are beasts. It has a 350 in it with almost 350k on it and no major problems. After 10 years, it is still on the original tranny but the drive shaft seals just went 2 weeks ago. We changed them last Saturday. The thing would tow no problem. Other than regular maitenance, the thing has been bulletproof, not to mention it would tow an e36 in a heart beat. With 4 wheel drive, it is a fun machine to drive on those deep winter snow days. It just plows through the powder. That is my 2 cents.

Brian