PDA

View Full Version : Nice - scam from the classified section

MikeV
07-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Nowhere is safe... I have an ad in the classified section of this board, got a nice "my client will send you a cashier's check for xxx and you will need to refund the difference vias Western Union.." reply. Sad, really...

Mail follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linda Bruno <brunolin1@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hello,
My name is Linda Bruno,am interested to buy your kit,pedals, linkages, shifter, master & slave clyinders, flywheel,please i want you to give me your last price,hope to hear back from you.

------------

<> wrote:
Linda,
I can sell the whole setup for US$350 + shipping. However, if you're in the UK, shipping could be expensive.
Mike

---------
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:29:17 +0100 (BST)
Subject: payment and pick up
To: ***

Thanks for your mail,I have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $3,600 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.so you are required to deduct cost of the kit,pedals, linkages, shifter, master & slave clyinders, flywheel i.e $350 when payment gets to you and refund balance $3,250 to my Agent via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges. Since I reside in Fulham, London.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come and pick up title and take it to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent to you via fedex courier to my customer. My client could send the check to you through fedex courier immediately. Please forward your full names, address and phone number ..

Thanks
Linda

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 09:59 AM
id be accepting their payment, see what happens LOL. Title? They didnt read their reply very close.

rickm
07-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Get the check, put it in an interest bearing account until they take it away. Get a shipping address then clue the UK authorities in.

Craig
07-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Then send them an empty box and declare the value as $2500 so they have to pay import taxes on it. :D

MikeV
07-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, if I were to accept the "check" and deposit it, I'd get hit with returned check fees when it finally was found out to be bogus... and they have no reason to give a real address, methinks they're a bit more interested in the "refund" via Western Union.

Yeah, this is like a scam form letter, you'd think they'd at least read it first. Like - who's buying this? Who is the agent? Title ?? my kids could do better than that.

MikeV
07-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Then send them an empty box and declare the value as $2500 so they have to pay import taxes on it. :D
yeah... like I said, they aren't interested in whatever I'd ship.
And if you fool around and send a box of junk, the carrier (especially if Fedex or UPS) might just deliver it first and attempt to collect duties/fees later.... and then charge them back to me when no one pays.

Martin in Bellevue
07-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Like I'm gonna ship a set of wheels to the UK. There was no mention of overpayment by nigerian bank check.

Robin-535im
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=MikeV...Since I reside in Fulham, London.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come and pick up title ...

Thanks
Linda[/QUOTE]

Now that's class!

AllanS
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
I got the same thing, from the same person. The crappy grammer keyed me in immediately (and, how often do you see a woman on a BMW enthusiast site?? :) )

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Get the check, put it in an interest bearing account until they take it away. Get a shipping address then clue the UK authorities in.

DanDombrowski
07-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I used to fight this kind of stuff for a living protecting the company I worked for. We saw this kind of stuff alot, and I got to be kind of an expert on it.

If you're looking to "fight back" against this guy thats trying to steal money from you and your children, there's nothing you can do that will say, bring a world of hurt to him, but you can waste a lot of his time and seriously piss him off.

Tell him you will accept the offer. Keep the check for whatever the heck you want mabye give it to the FBI, or give it to a bank and say "Watch out for these." The bottom line is, it takes him a LONG TIME to make it, because they try to make very good forgeries of bank checks.

Next, get the number of his western union account and report it to the US Postal Inspector, the guy I used to talk to there is the head of the Western Division, his name is Barry Mew, or any old postal inspector will do, but they will can his WU account and he will lose any other payments that are en-route to him.

Thats about all you can do. Trust me, by doing this, you will be wasting HOURS of his time making that check.

DanDombrowski
07-09-2004, 12:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to fight this kind of stuff for a living protecting the company I worked for. We saw this kind of stuff alot, and I got to be kind of an expert on it.

If you're looking to "fight back" against this guy thats trying to steal money from you and your children, there's nothing you can do that will say, bring a world of hurt to him, but you can waste a lot of his time and seriously piss him off.

Tell him you will accept the offer. Keep the check for whatever the heck you want mabye give it to the FBI, or give it to a bank and say "Watch out for these." The bottom line is, it takes him a LONG TIME to make it, because they try to make very good forgeries of bank checks.

Next, get the number of his western union account and report it to the US Postal Inspector, the guy I used to talk to there is the head of the Western Division, his name is Barry Mew, or any old postal inspector will do, but they will can his WU account and he will lose any other payments that are en-route to him.

Thats about all you can do. Trust me, by doing this, you will be wasting HOURS of his time making that check.

MikeV
07-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Actually it might be cool to get a frame and display the so-called check on my wall.

MicahO
07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Check out parts one two and three of this tale. The end is nowhere in sight, but apparently someone did decide to try and take on a London based scammer.....

http://www.zug.com/gab/profile.cgi?user=mynameisjeff

Tiger
07-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Mmm... I wondered where is Part 4...

Robin-535im
07-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Mmm... I wondered where is Part 4...

That took care of the prankster?

Robert K
07-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Here's the text from another I got the last day or so ago:

Ref. Number: 132/756/4509
Batch Number: 538901527-Bc68
Ticket Number: 27522465896-6453
Dear Sir/Madam,
We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Winners in our
International Lottery Program held on the 8th OF JULY, 2004. Your e-mail
address attached to ticket number 27522465896-6453 with serial number 3772-
554 drew lucky numbers 7-14-18-31-45 which consequently won in the 2ND
category, you have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of
2,000,000 EUROS (Two Million EUROS). CONGRATULATIONS!
Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your winning
information confidential until your
claims have been fully processed and your money Remitted to you. This is
part of our security protocol to avoid multiple claims and unwarranted abuse
of this program by some participants. All participants were selected through
a computer ballot system drawn from over 2,000,000 corporate and 30,000,000
individual email addresses and names from all over the world. This
promotional program takes place every five years.
This lottery was promoted and sponsored by a conglomerate of some
multinational companies in Europe as part of their
social responsibility to the citizens in the communities where they have
operational base. We hope with part of your winnings you will take part in
our next year Ten million Euros international lottery. To file for your
claim, please contact our fiducial agent:
MRS.MARY-ANN SMITH
POTTER LOTTERY FUND
Reply Email: potter_lotto@winningteam.com
Remember all winning must be claimed not later than 8TH of AUGUST 2004.After
this date all unclaimed funds will be included in the next stake. Please
note in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications, remember to
quote your reference number and batch numbers in all correspondence.
Furthermore should there be any change of address do inform our agent as
soon as possible. Congratulations once more from our members of staff and
thank you for being part of our promotional program.
Note: Anybody under the age of 18 is automatically disqualified.
Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Eric Adams
International Lottery (coordinator)
N.B: Any breach of confidentiality on the part of the winners will result to
disqualification. Please do not reply to this mail. Contact your claim

krisby
07-18-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm waiting too, can't wait to see part 4.

found it, http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/index04.html, though not much info.

Gary M
07-18-2004, 11:21 PM
I got a similar offer to buy something from her.

I got the same thing, from the same person. The crappy grammer keyed me in immediately (and, how often do you see a woman on a BMW enthusiast site?? :) )