PDA

View Full Version : Do you fellas adjust camber after installing lower aspect ratio/widers tires?

Hector
07-08-2004, 05:38 PM
It makes sense do this otherwise one will experience premature tire wear. Any ideas how much?

632 Regal
07-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Hector, you talking about the front or rears?

AllanS
07-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Probably the rears......... a guy sells customized rear trailing arm bushings in the back of Roundel, that claim to be able to cure this. You're probably getting really bad wear on the inside edge of the tire, correct?

The email address of the guy in Roundel who sells them is rtrsinc@earthlink.net and they go for 175$ a set. He also sells other stuff like adjustable front camber kits. No relation/affiliation here, I'm just going on what's in the magazine.

Personally, with 255/40/17s in the rear, I don't have this problem. It was an issue with my old tires, Yokohama AVSdBs, but after switching to a different brand (as well as springs and struts, which I don't think had any real effect), the wear is pretty even. This is most likely do to a steep sidewall angle on the Yokos, imo. My local mechanic, who changed the tires and looked at the setup for me, called around to BMW dealerships and according to him, it's normal for BMWs to wear like that in the rear.

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Id like someone to put those in for me...lol Im too lazy to experiment.

Robin-535im
07-09-2004, 11:34 AM
It makes sense do this otherwise one will experience premature tire wear. Any ideas how much?

Increased camber will wear more on the inside while going straight, but if your lateral cornering forces match the preloaded attack angle from the camber, you'll shear the tire surface evenly.

Or maybe that's just what people tell themselves while they're cornering hard in their lowered-street-hotrods... "I'm just trying to wear out the tires evenly, yeah, that's the ticket."

My manual tells me that the tires will wear unevenly even in the stock setup, so maybe increased camber is no problem unless you do a lot of long distance and you want your tires to last as long as possible.