PDA

View Full Version : Door panel trim help

ccrawford
07-08-2004, 11:37 AM
On both inside back door panels the leather inset is pulling away from the rest of the panel covering. Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work to bond it back. I guess it is leather on leather? Thanks

ccrawford
07-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Here is a picture of the area I am talking about. It is the L shaped trim piece that runs under the door handle. It was not pulling off in this pic yet!

JonE
07-08-2004, 11:54 AM
My trim is doing that too. I'd also be interested to know if any particular adhesives have worked for anyone?

Shaun
07-08-2004, 12:13 PM
On both inside back door panels the leather inset is pulling away from the rest of the panel covering. Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work to bond it back. I guess it is leather on leather? Thanks

I've had similar problems with this specific piece of trim and others, and I've been using 3M Trim Adhesive with decent success. Just make sure to follow the directions, and it works well :)

1992 BMW 535i
07-08-2004, 12:44 PM
I've had similar problems with this specific piece of trim and others, and I've been using 3M Trim Adhesive with decent success. Just make sure to follow the directions, and it works well :)

My door makes it unanimous. I'll try the 3m and see how it works!

AllanS
07-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Mine does the same thing. I used Gorilla Glue, which seems to have worked well enough, but it's hard to get it to dry since the L shaped piece really doesn't want to stay in place. I had to duct tape a flat piece of metal to it, to hold it in place while it dried.

Karl
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I also used 3M Trim Adhesive, but...
...it appeared that the vinyl material on the whole door panel had started to shrink, which pulled it out of the pocket it was set into. So I pulled the trim panel off the car to work on it flat on my bench. I cut the vinyl where it had pulled up out of the pocket and stapled the edges down. Then I used the trim adhesive to hold the inset in place, and weighted it down with a couple bricks overnight just to make sure. It hasn't come loose.

632 Regal
07-08-2004, 06:15 PM
someone repaired mine before I bought it and it looks like they used a tremendous amout of booze in the process. Glue drips and runs all over the place that do not come off, I'm glad I dont have to look at that everyday :)

tbrown540
07-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Add one more to the list. My right rear door did the same thing to the previous owner and in trying to repair the situation it looks like glue wasn't doing the job and so the TOOL who was repairing it actually used screws. Nice touch. Can that "L" shaped piece be purchased? I would rather not buy a whole door panel if I can avoid it, but I would like to repair that part properly. Any sources for a part like that?

bjl4776
07-08-2004, 08:24 PM
just for haha's i looked up the list for them out of a crash estimate book and they were 420 for each front panel, and 380 for each rear panel. Check out vines auto, they told me they could get me a set of four for 250, if i understand him right.

John D
07-08-2004, 10:19 PM
MY interior had similar problems. So I pulled the panels, "Gooped" them and clamped them... No problems, even in this AL heat and humidity. :p

Unregistered
07-09-2004, 08:04 AM

DallasBill
07-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I Goop'ed mine too, and used a trick I found in this board years ago, before it moved to vBulletin.

I bought a cheap extensible shower rod and stretched it across from door to door to keep and kept it clamped in place for a day, while drying. I used a small piece of wood to spread the force over the glued panel portion. I could still use the car that way too!