PDA

View Full Version : thing below upper radiator hose m60

PhilipJCaputo
07-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Anyone know what this is?? it looks like some kind of metal disk.... and it also looks like coolant might be leaking from it :(

winfred
07-07-2004, 10:29 PM
looks like new radiator time, that's a molded in plug that covers the hole that the tranny cooler use to go through

new540iowner
07-07-2004, 11:01 PM
the radiator itself. My "disc" wasn't leaking but the upper hose was leaking a little coolant near it.

paul p (chi-town)
07-08-2004, 12:21 AM
coolant might be leaking from it :(Uh, your hose is lookin a little curvy there.........
Are they original?
There is a good chance that your rad nipple (big one for the main hose) is cracked/pitted crapped out in some way too.
Here’s an excuse to flush some coolant, inspect all of your cooling system hardware and replace the soft(firm?)ware.
Get the hoses, some coolant, clamps (kinda anal), belts while yer at it and check things out. Don't be surprised if your radiator plastic is pretty much gone tho...

Yeah that hose looks like it could burst soon too.

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/sign05.jpg (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.

PhilipJCaputo
07-08-2004, 12:25 AM
crap.... I wasn't excited about this leak.... just before a trip to kansas city.... anyone live in that area in case I break down? :)

I didn't do too much fool'n with the big hose since it was extra hot... I'll hafta check it out in the mornin

PhilipJCaputo
07-08-2004, 12:46 AM
wouldn't have been able to sleep... so I went and check things out...

I squeezed the upper radiator hose and felt all around where it makes a connection into the radiator... but I didn't feel any cooland (granted I did hose that area down earlier today to clean things up, and help me find the leak....

I also cut off about half an inch of the overflow hose.... it was so matted down from the clamp that I don't think the clam was holding it worth a dang....

I think I'll have to drive it, and then look again.... but upper hose looks/feels clean

MBXB
07-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Phil

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was having overheating problems along with coolant loss.

I cleaned off the area with water, and reached in and applied JB weld to the area where the leak looked like it was "weeping" thru. I also checked the neck of the upper radiator hose which runs just above the disk. Check for cracks. Clean the neck and inside of the hose, and carefully reclamp using a new clamp. Part of the coolant loss was in this area.

Check the infamous return line that runs from that 180 degree rubber hose, along the driver's side back the the main coolant catch tank. Make sure that hole at the catch tank neck is clear. I enlarged it using a hobby hand drill with a 1/4 in bit. This was the culprit that caused the overheating

The JB weld has held, and since then I haven't seen ANY sign of leaks. I use one of those deer spotlights to check the engine compartment. You can see everything!

Good Luck!

PhilipJCaputo
07-08-2004, 10:45 AM
On the way to work this morning, I stopped by walmart to get some jb weld, and some other crap, I pulled into a spot, popped the hood, and there was the coolant dripping all over the place.

I think I located the source to be the overflow hose (which I had loosened last night, but couldn't get the clamp back on as tight as I wanted it to be)... So I ended up clipping off another half inch of the hose that connects into the radiator, and tightened down the clamp as best I could, I didn't see any leaks when I got to work.... but a nice 30 min drive will tell...