PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question

nate-e
07-07-2004, 04:37 PM
I have an 89 525i with bavarian autosport springs and older shocks. My suspension is loose, my car leans and frequently bottoms out, which really pisses me off. I am looking to upgrade my suspension without breaking a tight budget. Im thinking that new shocks would help. Bilsteins are a little expensive, but KYB's are within range. would my ride suck with stiffer GR-2 dampers and relatively soft and short bavauto springs?

Im also experiencing the talked about shimmy from 50-65 mph. What is the best cost effective way to alleviate this. Or is $180 arms the only way? Where do you get them with 750 bushings?

-thanks

jjg43
07-08-2004, 08:10 AM
I have an 89 525i with bavarian autosport springs and older shocks. My suspension is loose, my car leans and frequently bottoms out, which really pisses me off. I am looking to upgrade my suspension without breaking a tight budget. Im thinking that new shocks would help. Bilsteins are a little expensive, but KYB's are within range. would my ride suck with stiffer GR-2 dampers and relatively soft and short bavauto springs?

Im also experiencing the talked about shimmy from 50-65 mph. What is the best cost effective way to alleviate this. Or is $180 arms the only way? Where do you get them with 750 bushings?

-thanks already in them from www.bmaparts.com. I haven't heard many good things on the KYB's. I have H&R w/ bilstein's on my 535i and have no problems. Not sure about how old your bav auto springs are? They may need replacing too.

nate e
07-09-2004, 12:31 PM
thanks. Does anyone have anything good to say about KYB shocks? Im about to get a set of them unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Also I am getting a brake fluid warning almost every time I step on the brakes. The fluid is new and topped off. How can I reset this?

jjg43
07-09-2004, 12:37 PM

-thanks

632 Regal
07-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I have the BAV auto springs on mine which is heavier than yours and would constantly bottom out until I got the Bilsteins, not it will only hit on big bumps and holes. The shimmy is probably your thrust arms like you said, get them at BMA, they come with the 750 bushings and fixed my shimmy.