PDA

View Full Version : 1994 525 vanos replacement

Unregistered
07-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi, I have been informed by my local garage that my beautiful 525i Sport (M5 lookalike with 18" wheels leather sports seats etc) is a bit or a wreck and that I should get shot of it. I bought the car last October and have so far had the steering overhauled, new exhaust, alarm disconnected, new discs. The car vibrates at 60 mph and this has been put down to the fact that the wheels are copy's and have gone a bit square. I have had the car fully serviced and it has 120000 miles on it. There is a slight plasticy grinding noise coming from the head which my local garage reckon is the vanos unit and will cost £700 to repair. The car also doesn't feel quite as lively as my mates 1992 525i sport which I think doesn't have the vanos unit.

The car cost me £3500 and I have spent £700 so far on repairs. I have priced a refurbished vanos unit for £75 but have no idea what I should pay to get it fitted. I could just sell the car as it is really beautiful with its stiff lowered suspension and its m5 blue colour.

What should I do, I could get another 525 of similar age without really spending any money, but I really like the look of mine.

The car has no signs of any previous accidents.

Sorry for going on

Andrew