PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to add performance parts?

USAFA2005
07-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey, I have 1993 BMW 525i with 125k miles on it. I was wondering is it worth it to add performance parts to my car? I was thinking a chip, air intake, and exhaust kit. I obviously know very little about cars and I appreciate the help.

rickm
07-04-2004, 12:04 PM
What is your goal? A nice improvement for the 525 is an EAT chip. They're about 180.00 and will improve the low end on your car. I have one in my 94 525, it made a nice difference, well worth the money.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

Not sure about air intakes, I thought BMW did a nice job with what's already there. No comments on exhaust mods either, hopefully one of the other members will chime in.

Unregistered
07-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I am going to get the chip. I did some more reading, and I am really thinking about getting a supercharger. The air intakes and exhaust don't seem to do too much for the BMW.

Gary M
07-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I believe a supercharger may need a chip tuned for it's optimum use. You might want to check on this some more before you buy a chip that's really not needed for a supercharger setup.

Yeah, I am going to get the chip. I did some more reading, and I am really thinking about getting a supercharger. The air intakes and exhaust don't seem to do too much for the BMW.

MarkD
07-04-2004, 03:04 PM
What is your goal? A nice improvement for the 525 is an EAT chip. They're about 180.00 and will improve the low end on your car. I have one in my 94 525, it made a nice difference, well worth the money.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

Not sure about air intakes, I thought BMW did a nice job with what's already there. No comments on exhaust mods either, hopefully one of the other members will chime in.

Hi Rick,

thanks for mentioning my chips. The poster contacted me earlier today, before posting here. I adjusted the prices of most chips to $199 about a month ago, but I'm thinking of having a Oktoberfest special sale this coming week. It's probably going to be $199 but include Fedex shipping, which usually costs $24.

Mark

ScottM
07-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I am one of the test 540i's using the EAT chip. Now after many, many months it still is the best mod for the money. Everything else in the powertrain is stock so the benefits of the chip change are not disguised of enhanced. So if this guy is starting out and with his mileage, try the EAT chip first. Changes the low end pull and makes the car much more sporty.

ScottM
1995 540ia 56K w/26K on alusil

RobPatt '93 525ia @ 123K
07-04-2004, 08:01 PM
I've the same car...did the EAT chip, and just read that metricmechanic will port exhaust manifolds for $40 (on their website...). BTW, just had your lowerclassmen here (Eglin - Ft. Walton Bch, FL) for Op Air Force... class of 2006. L8r, Rob sends....

USAFA2005
07-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Alright, I will be getting that EAT chip. By the way, Rob... Did they give you any trouble? If so, I can have a little talk with them ;)