PDA

View Full Version : Valve Face and Seat Refurbishing

Hector
07-03-2004, 12:39 PM
How much is enough to grind these mating surfaces by hand with the abrasive compound? I already got the suction cup tool and compound for reconditioning.

winfred
07-03-2004, 12:54 PM
just till the surfaces look smooth and non pitted, most of the time you can clean them up with just the fine compound, the exhaust will be a little harder

Hector
07-05-2004, 10:21 AM
I got a little jar with one end of 120 grit and the other end of 240 grit compound from NAPA. The seats looks like they are in pretty good shape just a few tiny specks of carbon build up here and there. Should be a pretty easy job.

On a different note can you or anyone else give some pointers on the valve springs? Like if you stand them up against a straight edge, does every coil on the spring supposed to touch the straight edge?

Bently doesn't give a spec on this other than the quick test of line them up in a row, lay a straight edge across all of them, and which ever ones are shorter than the others then replace the shorter ones.

winfred
07-05-2004, 02:57 PM
if i was going to replace one id replace them all, one at a time is pissing in the wind

Hector
07-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I measured their height against a straight edge and the shortest spring was about 20 to 30 thousandth of an " from the longest spring.