PDA

View Full Version : Here's a pic of the new autozone duralast gold brake pads, they

Bill R.
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
say that they are going to produce them for as many models as they can as soon as possible.. I've put 2 sets on in the last week and they feel pretty good, no squeal, each pad is separately wrapped in rust preventative paper, more attention to detail in manufacture , For my customers that want to spend less , these are about half as much as raybestos qs in cost and they have a lifetime warranty.. Just put some on a dodge 3/4 ton truck they were 26.00 for the fronts. But no bmw applications yet....
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/duralastgoldbrakepads.jpg

ryan roopnarine
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
what does "lifetime warranty" mean on brake pads currently? just curious, as my unkle bought some brake pads from them in the early 90s and stil can return them for new ones...i take it this is not the case anymore.

Bill R.
07-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Since all auto parts manufacturers seem to be going away from the lifetime warranty i was quite surprised that autozone offered it with these..they must be pretty confident of them.. I also have a number of customers from the early nineties that have lifetime warranty autozone parts on their cars..no problems on warranty exchange.. My 68 firebird had a lifetime jc penney's battery in it, complete with the credit card looking card you keep in your wallet for it... back when penney's was dumb enough to have a lifetime battery warranty.. went through about 10 batteries over a 20 year period..

what does "lifetime warranty" mean on brake pads currently? just curious, as my unkle bought some brake pads from them in the early 90s and stil can return them for new ones...i take it this is not the case anymore.

bimmerd00d
07-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Auto Zone is okay, just stay away from their brand of pads and such. Lifetime warranty on those seems pretty good.

PhilipJCaputo
07-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Are those shims on the back side there???

what the the heck are brake shims for anyway??

winfred
07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
usually they have some teflon on them that helps dampen vibration (squeel)

Are those shims on the back side there???

what the the heck are brake shims for anyway??

Bill R.
07-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Here
(http://www.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/1999-01-0142.PDF)

usually they have some teflon on them that helps dampen vibration (squeel)

PhilipJCaputo
07-02-2004, 11:10 AM
wow! great detail..... Looks like I shoulda put in those shims that came with the raybesteos I installed a couple of weeks ago... I hear a slight squeel every now and then.... but nothing too bothering....

Jeff N.
07-02-2004, 11:28 AM
hmm...I go thru about 3 sets of front pads a year. I wonder how long it will take for them to quit giving me pads. Of course, they need to make them for the 535 first!

Bellicose Right Winger
07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Price sounds great, particularly after getting RAPED to the tune of $103 on a set of 394 & 396QS'. Are the Duralast gold semi-metallic? Do they make any claims about dust? Bill, do you remember what the 2 digit DOT friction code is?

Paul Shovestul

say that they are going to produce them for as many models as they can as soon as possible.. I've put 2 sets on in the last week and they feel pretty good, no squeal, each pad is separately wrapped in rust preventative paper, more attention to detail in manufacture , For my customers that want to spend less , these are about half as much as raybestos qs in cost and they have a lifetime warranty.. Just put some on a dodge 3/4 ton truck they were 26.00 for the fronts. But no bmw applications yet....
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/duralastgoldbrakepads.jpg

bahnstormer
07-02-2004, 04:50 PM
just bought some mintex pads off bavauto.com
89 front and rear was my total. supposed to be
less dust. we'll see about that.

Bill R.
07-02-2004, 06:00 PM
code was ff. The price i quoted was my commercial price, you can probably add 4 or 5 bucks for the retail price. The pads are supposed to be application specific meaning some cars will have a different material than others, most pad manufacturers are making this claim nowdays so that the pads more closely match what the auto manufacturer specifies for the performance of the pad.

Price sounds great, particularly after getting RAPED to the tune of $103 on a set of 394 & 396QS'. Are the Duralast gold semi-metallic? Do they make any claims about dust? Bill, do you remember what the 2 digit DOT friction code is?

Paul Shovestul