PDA

View Full Version : Found the reason for overheating problem

Abnormal
07-02-2004, 07:29 AM
The neck of the bleed screw on the expansion tank was cracked. Along with the o-ring being bad, all kinds of air was getting into the system. Tried a couple of things to try and repait it with no luck. I did not want to drop the funds into a new radiator right now. Finally, I went to the hardware store and got a small hose clamp and some heavy duty plastic epoxy. Put on the epoxy and tightened down the hoe clamp till the crack was seamless. Let it sit overnight and bled the system. Drove all the way to work today without a drop of coolant leaking (knock on wood). The wife is not happy, as I just put new tires on the car. The upkeep issues may cause me to get rid of her soon. :(

TimGinCentralNJ
07-02-2004, 07:46 AM
...you are referring to your wife, right?? ;-) Sorry, I couldn't resist!! :)

Congrats on your temporary fix...they can be a PITA in maintenance, but damn are they fun to have around (the wife AND the car!)

Tim G.
'91 535iM

The neck of the bleed screw on the expansion tank was cracked. Along with the o-ring being bad, all kinds of air was getting into the system. Tried a couple of things to try and repait it with no luck. I did not want to drop the funds into a new radiator right now. Finally, I went to the hardware store and got a small hose clamp and some heavy duty plastic epoxy. Put on the epoxy and tightened down the hoe clamp till the crack was seamless. Let it sit overnight and bled the system. Drove all the way to work today without a drop of coolant leaking (knock on wood). The wife is not happy, as I just put new tires on the car. The upkeep issues may cause me to get rid of her soon. :(

Abnormal
07-02-2004, 07:55 AM
...you are referring to your wife, right?? ;-) Sorry, I couldn't resist!! :)

Congrats on your temporary fix...they can be a PITA in maintenance, but damn are they fun to have around (the wife AND the car!)

Tim G.
'91 535iM

Bellicose Right Winger
07-02-2004, 08:33 AM
BTW, the bleed screw is available separately, it's PN 17 11 1 712 888 and many models use the same part.

Paul Shovestul

Abnormal
07-02-2004, 08:40 AM
BTW, the bleed screw is available separately, it's PN 17 11 1 712 888 and many models use the same part.

Paul Shovestul