PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions?

Phil M
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Recommend or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7908043662&category=33727&sspagename=WDVW

they sound great on paper. are their transmissions as good?

MBXB
07-01-2004, 11:35 AM
There were posts re: Phoenix about two-three months back. Search the archives.

632 Regal
07-01-2004, 12:01 PM
From what I heard, your better off getting one from Kirt and doing it one time.

Tiger
07-01-2004, 05:50 PM
So Phil... what happened to your tranny? Did Dextron do it in?

Phil M
07-01-2004, 07:53 PM
havnt even f!@#ing gotten it looked at yet. parents are being asses about her. "its summer, why do you need a car?" WTF!? dad's xj6 is getting fixed so after its done, its my turn. most likely tuesday/wednesday (fingers crossed).

but damn im sure those clutch mechanisms are worn the hell out

Tiger
07-01-2004, 08:10 PM
What are your current symptoms? Leave the #*!#?* out please.

632 Regal
07-02-2004, 01:29 PM
yep another example of what happens when you dont opt for the correct trans fluid...these should go into the archive.

MBXB
07-02-2004, 02:57 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3484&highlight=phoenix

Phil M
07-02-2004, 03:35 PM
thx.. i read that the other day. sounds like they wouldnt be a good choice.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3484&highlight=phoenix

What are your current symptoms? Leave the #*!#?* out please.
current symptoms? ill try to keep my frustration down. bear with me.

1. downshifting is EXTREMELY rough, especially when cold. most of the time its sent into a trans prog even if im coasting and downshifting
2. turning and accelerating is rarely possible. seems as it slips out when downshifting and if i gas it it just revs and sends into another trans prog.
3. when i come to a stop, i have to wait 2-3 secs for it to get back into gear.
4. shifting into drive, i have to wait a few secs for it to engage. shifting from reverse into drive, takes like 4 secs to do it.
5. when i engage the button under the gas, the rpm guage kinda ticks, in the 3.5-5 range, as opposed to it smoothly sweeping.
6. nasty whrrring sound when accelerating
7. when its been driven around a bit, she improves a little. used to improve a whole lot when warm but not anymore.
8. smooth sailing at 50+mph. runs like a dream going 120-130mph

ryan roopnarine
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
it didn't die of incorrect atf selection,

it, it was.....
SOAP POISONING!

everybody that doesn't like A Christmas Story can suck it.

yep another example of what happens when you dont opt for the correct trans fluid...these should go into the archive.

Unregistered
07-02-2004, 05:42 PM
thx.. i read that the other day. sounds like they wouldnt be a good choice.

current symptoms? ill try to keep my frustration down. bear with me.

1. downshifting is EXTREMELY rough, especially when cold. most of the time its sent into a trans prog even if im coasting and downshifting
2. turning and accelerating is rarely possible. seems as it slips out when downshifting and if i gas it it just revs and sends into another trans prog.
3. when i come to a stop, i have to wait 2-3 secs for it to get back into gear.
4. shifting into drive, i have to wait a few secs for it to engage. shifting from reverse into drive, takes like 4 secs to do it.
5. when i engage the button under the gas, the rpm guage kinda ticks, in the 3.5-5 range, as opposed to it smoothly sweeping.
6. nasty whrrring sound when accelerating
7. when its been driven around a bit, she improves a little. used to improve a whole lot when warm but not anymore.
8. smooth sailing at 50+mph. runs like a dream going 120-130mph

Phil M
07-02-2004, 05:57 PM
it still has the original fluid in there.. :P NOTHING at all has been done. for all i know theres probably an assload of metal in the pan.

MBXB
07-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Here's that link for servicing a 5HP30:

http://www.e38.org/zf-5hp30-service.html

632 Regal
07-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree, check the fluid and change the filter before you just get a new one. Some things are simply...simple.

Tiger
07-02-2004, 11:01 PM
I have to agree with the rest of the guys.. Sounds like your tranny fluid is low and the filter is not Filtran that causes the nasty whirring sound.

The filter o-ring that your shop put in is too thin... get one from the dealer and put it in.

The fluid level seems too low... the engine has to be running... and keep squirting fluid into the hole until it start to come out like crazy... a little tiny stream is not it... it would splash out like gushing river.

I don't think anything is wrong with your tranny.

MBXB
07-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Fixing the tranny whine:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/forum.php?postid=1755714

tim s
07-03-2004, 07:42 AM
some of the symtoms are common with the older valve bodys failing. when my valve body started to fail i bought a rebuild tranny from kirt due to the car having 180,000mi. on it. kirt does have valve body upgrades to fix these type of problems, but you should talk to him. he is very knowledgable with these trannys.
Full Name: Kirt Koeller
Job Title: ZF Transmission Expert
Company: Auto Sports Unlimited

Business: (800) 624-3876 ex 5735
Business 2: (616) 748-5735

E-mail: europetransman@hotmail.com

p.s. i love my newly rebuilt 5hp30. shifts beautifully, smooth, & fast.
tim s.

new540iowner
07-03-2004, 10:48 AM
switching my filter and fluid. Now, granted, I used Redline D4 ATF for the first fluid change and an aftermarket (non-Filtran) filter but I noticed the slippage decreased by about 70% after the first fluid change. I then switched the filter to the Filtran brand and used Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF (about 4,000 miles after the Redline fluid) and no longer have the slippage. I did notice some fairly hard upshifts (car slammed into gear) with the Redline after the first 50-100 miles but the Quaker State, even though its cheaper, runs like a dream. If I were you, I'd change the filter and fluid ASAP and then switch it again after a couple hundred miles. If you need instructions on how to change the fluid for about $5 (cost of parts at Lowe's or Home Depot) let me know.