PDA

View Full Version : I was told once when you find a good mechanic stick with him...

Jason
07-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Guibo replacement, change over the AC to 134a and fill, and an oil change: 300 bucks, and i can pick it up the same day. not too shabby. I was figuring somewhere along the lines of $500. then again, i have been going to this guy for a while and have brought some business his way too...

JonE
07-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi Jason,
I'd be curious to see how the retrofit to 134a turns out. I have considered this as well, but wasn't sure what needed to be done to make it successful. Do you know what he had to do? New AC o-rings, oil, etc? Sounds like a good deal for $300!

Hector
07-01-2004, 10:13 AM
the one I go to, not as frequently as I used to since I'm doing more of the repairs myself, knew what he was doing but liked taking short cuts. So I started staying at the shop during the repairs to watch what he was doing. He's a really nice Austrian who loves to talk and there are times I have to chew my leg off to get out of there. He'll let me tag along in the bay and show me the repairs and replaced parts... a good thing considering that few don't show you replaced parts. Also, like you as given this guy lots of business in the past.

callen
07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
just finished replacing my entire system so not really a retrofit but If I were you I'd replace all orings as well as going to dealer to buy retrofit kit with new reciever dryer. Includes new pressure swiches along with adapters to put R-134 in system.
Callen 91 535i (blowing Ice cold air) 94 530i 89 735il

MBXB
07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
just finished replacing my entire system so not really a retrofit but If I were you I'd replace all orings as well as going to dealer to buy retrofit kit with new reciever dryer. Includes new pressure swiches along with adapters to put R-134 in system.

Jason
07-01-2004, 11:39 AM
It usually is. I just got a call from my mechanic saying that the aux fan is not working, said its not a fuse and hasnt checked the resistor yet. He said, the AC works, but if i wanted to do the aux fan i should buy it myself (yet another call to BMA). My question is, can I live w/ out it? Callen, I will check to see if all the o-rings and oils were swapped too. i'm guessing they weren't. Just new fittings, should i expect leaks if they havent been swapped?

ryan roopnarine
07-01-2004, 11:53 AM
1---did your mechanic reuse your drier when he converted it?

2--i wouldn't try to drive around in the summer with it nonfunctional....my car seems to be ok without the aux fan, but others will overheat without it if you run the ac.

It usually is. I just got a call from my mechanic saying that the aux fan is not working, said its not a fuse and hasnt checked the resistor yet. He said, the AC works, but if i wanted to do the aux fan i should buy it myself (yet another call to BMA). My question is, can I live w/ out it? Callen, I will check to see if all the o-rings and oils were swapped too. i'm guessing they weren't. Just new fittings, should i expect leaks if they havent been swapped?

Jason
07-01-2004, 12:50 PM
if he did?

Hector
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
the fan went bad the car overheated repeatedly with the AC on. The thermo switch was replaced and worked fine afterwards.

ryan roopnarine
07-01-2004, 01:20 PM
the dryer deal is about 90 from bma. c bearing-30, flexdisc-30, bolts/nuts 5-10, most of those kit deals you can buy from autozone don't require dryer changers...as long as he vacuumed the deal out, and fixed whatever was causing the leak, it should be ok.

if he did?

ryan roopnarine
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
how much was the retrofit kit, in USD from the dealer? was thinking about doing the conversion with only the orings, and reusing the dryer and switch.

Jason
07-01-2004, 01:46 PM
i was still there.

Jason
07-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Jason,
I'd be curious to see how the retrofit to 134a turns out. I have considered this as well, but wasn't sure what needed to be done to make it successful. Do you know what he had to do? New AC o-rings, oil, etc? Sounds like a good deal for $300!