PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Expectations for 1995 525i with 190K

SU1973
07-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but I am new to this forum. I have been considering whether or not to keep my '95 525i with 190K (I have had it for 6 years and 160K and kept up all required maintenance). It looks great and runs well. I have had very few problems (changed water pump and O2 sensor). 90% of my miles have been highway at speeds of 70mph or so. How long can I expect it to keep going and what big maintenance events can I expect? I have stopped using the dealer and the mechanic I'm with now recommends changing the radiator before it fails. What else?

Is there a source which details recommended maintenance for high mileage BMWs?

Should I start looking for a new(used) car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

RobPatt '93 525i @ 123K
07-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Nothing lasts forever. But if you've kept up all required maintenance, it may be time for some more detailed preventative maint. Radiators & hoses fail. Consider the climates the car sees - that may impact things like the crank position sensor, fuseable link, solder on the LKM.... relays, coil packs, caps on the instrument panel...transmissions(?)... guibo? And I think most of the things here are fairly simple and inexpensive, except the tranny. If it's a great car, and it's not too old yet... fix 'er up and go another 190K! Cheers, Rob.

darron525
07-01-2004, 10:38 AM
check this link:http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

darron

Excuse my ignorance, but I am new to this forum. I have been considering whether or not to keep my '95 525i with 190K (I have had it for 6 years and 160K and kept up all required maintenance). It looks great and runs well. I have had very few problems (changed water pump and O2 sensor). 90% of my miles have been highway at speeds of 70mph or so. How long can I expect it to keep going and what big maintenance events can I expect? I have stopped using the dealer and the mechanic I'm with now recommends changing the radiator before it fails. What else?

Is there a source which details recommended maintenance for high mileage BMWs?

Should I start looking for a new(used) car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

632 Regal
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Preventative is the key with these cars to prevent major problems. Replace the radiator and all the hoses including the thermostat and housing at the same time and you will be done there for 2 years til you change the antifreeze again.

SU1973
07-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks to Rob, Darron and Regal. I think I'll hang on to her for another 100K or so, get going on some of the preventative maintenance, and save the monthly payment.

bimmerd00d
07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
i would start with the radiator, water pump, t'stat, and if you haven't replaced the t'stat housing with teh aluminum one, do that. Also, make sure that valve cover gasket is not leaking.

mholbrook
07-02-2004, 10:09 AM
It is usually a lot cheaper to keep a car running than the depreciation of buying a new car. And with a BMW, if it is running well, there is a tremendous driving satisfaction that other companys cars do not provide. What car could possibly be better than a well kept E34.

ryan roopnarine
07-02-2004, 10:13 AM
change ALL of the cooling hoses out. you have the luxury of having the res. mounted on the radiator, so there are fewer to change. change all the little ones (HCV) too and you won't have anything cooling related to worry about for a good long time.