PDA

View Full Version : Age old shimmy question

garysaini
06-30-2004, 06:46 PM
It is at 55 - 65 mph shimmy enhanced when braking hard. I think I need new thrust arm bushing. Since nearly 102000 miles was planning to change the complete arm. Also need the stablizer links I think thats what they are called.

Question - If I drive for some time (months) with shot bushing is that dangerous / bad ???

Gary M
06-30-2004, 10:48 PM
x

intelitre
06-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Its both dangerous and bad.

I would suggest changing out both the bushings and control at the same time.
Worn links will not cause any severe drivability prroblems but you will hear a good "thunk" when the swat bar moves up and down - easy to replace when you do the control arms as they have to be disconected. I found BMA has best prices - don't wait!

It is at 55 - 65 mph shimmy enhanced when braking hard. I think I need new thrust arm bushing. Since nearly 102000 miles was planning to change the complete arm. Also need the stablizer links I think thats what they are called.

Question - If I drive for some time (months) with shot bushing is that dangerous / bad ???

garysaini
07-02-2004, 07:01 AM
So I ordered the parts to replace the thrust arm. I understand that the bolt that is used to attach the thrust arm to the frame has a self locking nut. Do I need to order the nut alongwith the Thrust arm. I think it comes with a nut for the ball joint??