PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Responses, 520 > M535i.

Unregistered
06-30-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm going to buy a spares/repair M535i because my 520 engine has just blown up and it will hopefully only take a day to do, my friend has the M535i and it will be quick to get it.

Both are E28's, I am under the impression the swap should be simple, but I don't know everything I need to swap. I will be doing the Engine and gearbox, and when I have further spare time I will do the propshaft and diff (slow driving until then).

This is for a sleeper and to get my second car back on the road quickly as my first isn't on the road either, and worst still I'm due to be picking up an E28 M5 soon!

Now to the point, what else will I need to swap?, I assume some wiring looms.. I can do the speedo/tacho swap another time, I just need this car to move for now as I'm carless!

PS: The worst thing is I changed the oil, filter, air filter, fuel hoses, fuel filter, plugs and brake pads yesterday, and the car blew up this morning :(.. It's the head gasket which went but it's probably going to take as long as the whole transplant will to fix, but I want the sleeper. Plus the head could be warped and I can't afford the time that would take to discover.

Thanks for your time guys, I'll keep using this forum as I've only just found it :)

Mr Project
06-30-2004, 09:12 AM
By mentioning a 520, can I assume you are not in the US? Are these euro-spec cars?

I'm pretty sure the computer is different, and I'm not sure that the 'prop shaft' will swap over... isn't the 520 an M20 engine?

If you can't get the answers you need here, try http://www.mye28.com

Unregistered
06-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Yes I'm sorry (And I'll register soon!), they are both euro-spec.

What do you call propshaft's there then?, I assume it's not the same as here the way you've said it :)

I'll scour that site and let you know if I no longer need help!

Thank you very much!

Mr Project
06-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Driveshaft here, but I knew what you meant. :) Sorry I'm not a lot of help, but between here and mye28, you should be able to get what you need.

DrewZ
06-30-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm going to buy a spares/repair M535i because my 520 engine has just blown up and it will hopefully only take a day to do, my friend has the M535i and it will be quick to get it.

Both are E28's, I am under the impression the swap should be simple, but I don't know everything I need to swap. I will be doing the Engine and gearbox, and when I have further spare time I will do the propshaft and diff (slow driving until then).

This is for a sleeper and to get my second car back on the road quickly as my first isn't on the road either, and worst still I'm due to be picking up an E28 M5 soon!

Now to the point, what else will I need to swap?, I assume some wiring looms.. I can do the speedo/tacho swap another time, I just need this car to move for now as I'm carless!

PS: The worst thing is I changed the oil, filter, air filter, fuel hoses, fuel filter, plugs and brake pads yesterday, and the car blew up this morning :(.. It's the head gasket which went but it's probably going to take as long as the whole transplant will to fix, but I want the sleeper. Plus the head could be warped and I can't afford the time that would take to discover.

Thanks for your time guys, I'll keep using this forum as I've only just found it :)