PDA

View Full Version : Kaboom...what blows coolant on the exhaust manifold?

mancini_mark
06-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi guys,

I may have had a catastrophe today. I was driving along the highway and something in the cooling system blew open. It's on the exhaust side of my 1990 M20. It shot coolant at the exhaust manifold and stunk up the cabin.

I couldn't see any hoses on that side. What could blow out like that? Could a headgasket blow externally? The car still ran fine and I managed to limp it to a nearby parking lot before having it towed.

Thanks,

Mark

Hector
06-28-2004, 11:21 PM
possible that the lower radiator hose on the right side could've squirted some coolant on to the front of the exhaust? Don't wanna scare ya but when my head gasket failed, coolant dripped on the AC near the front of the exhaust manifold. Like you, at the time I couldn't find where the frigging leak was coming from until one day, the mechanic put it on the lift and noted it was coming from an inconspicuous area in the head gasket... bummer.

If you don't smell coolant coming from the tailpipe, no coolant dripping from the head gasket on the exhaust side, car is not running rough or you cannot exceed more than 70 mph, then its gotta be something else more benign.

Craig
06-28-2004, 11:34 PM
If you don't smell coolant coming from the tailpipe, no coolant dripping from the head gasket on the exhaust side, car is not running rough or you cannot exceed more than 70 mph, then its gotta be something else more benign.

Not necessarily, my headgasket just went TU with none of those symptoms. Granted it's an M30, but the principle is the same.

Check your headgasket now before it gets worse.

mancini_mark
06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah, the funny thing is that my car was running just great. It still is despite the leak. I did have a disappearing coolant problem and a bit of a smell of coolant in the cabin...but none at the tailpipe.

If it turns out to be a headgasket, what kind of labour time and money am I looking at?

Thanks,
Mark

Hector
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
unless there is good reason to change it. First, find out where the leak is coming from. Just get under the car, if you can, and do a visual to see what gives. Changing a head gasket is not just a simple matter of nuts and bolts. I agree with Bill R., it's not that clear cut to lend advice in this matter when we don't know your skill level. There are many issues, and the cost could be very high if you have someone do the repair.

mancini_mark
06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
What a relief...it was just the frost plug....time for a beer