PDA

View Full Version : Still fighting AC problem.

Abnormal
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Got the used heater valve from Rigmaster. Put it in, but I still have the same problem. Slightly cold air from the passenger side and warm air from the drivers side. I open up the compartment access to the coils and the coils are definetly cold. I have a brand new heater valve from BMA, but do not want to install it if I am going to get the same results. Is there a baffle that could be stuck or something that I could be missing?

'90 525i 107k

Abnormal

Loke
06-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Take out the used heater control valve, and block 1 of the valve tubes while you blow through the other. You should not be able to blow through the valve when holding it straight. Holding it upside down, and you should be able to blow through. If the HCV operates like this, it is working. If not you can try to overhaul it, but bear in mind it will never be as good as a new part. I cant really imagine it be anything else than the HCV. I also bought a used one, and I needed to overhaul it since 1 valve was stuck... Good luck

Abnormal
06-29-2004, 08:20 PM
No luck. The AC is not blowing any colder. Really frustrated at this point. Is there a door that opens to allow the outside air into the system? If so, how can I check to see if it is staying open?

winfred
06-29-2004, 11:03 PM
the recirculaton flaps are on ether side of the blower, you need to remove a plate on the firewall to access it

.Loke
06-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Pardon, but I dont understand:

Slightly cold air from the passenger side and warm air from the drivers side.

No luck. The AC is not blowing any colder.

What exactly is the problem? Do 1 side blow cold and the other side blow hot - no matter what. Or do the AC blow cold on one side and colder on another side.

Abnormal
06-30-2004, 10:17 AM
The passenger side barely blows cold air when car is moving. Drivers side is warm. When the car is not moving, it blows warm air. Did the following.

1) had mechanic check the a/c charge - good
2) replaced heater valve with new Bosch.
3) verified that aux water pump works by applying power.
4) checked aux water pump fuse - good
5) No microfilter in car to replace, as it does not have one.
6) Cleaned out debris from access point for sword.
7) verified all baffles for internal venting system opening and closing properly. (minus recircluation)

:(
Is there a fuse for the heater valve I can check? I do not hear the humming from the dash when the car is turned off. Isn't that the reset of all of the vents? Just curious if I might be pulling warm air from outside. If I start it in the morning (63 degrees out), it gets cold pretty quick. Feel like I am grasping at straws.

ryan roopnarine
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
i know you said that you verified the door operation, but have you seen this yet?

http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/center_vents_v1.1-1.html

The passenger side barely blows cold air when car is moving. Drivers side is warm. When the car is not moving, it blows warm air. Did the following.

1) had mechanic check the a/c charge - good
2) replaced heater valve with new Bosch.
3) verified that aux water pump works by applying power.
4) checked aux water pump fuse - good
5) No microfilter in car to replace, as it does not have one.
6) Cleaned out debris from access point for sword.
7) verified all baffles for internal venting system opening and closing properly. (minus recircluation)

Is there a fuse for the heater valve I can check? I do not hear the humming from the dash when the car is turned off. Isn't that the reset of all of the vents? Just curious if I might be pulling warm air from outside. If I start it in the morning (63 degrees out), it gets cold pretty quick. Feel like I am grasping at straws.

Abnormal
06-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks. Been looking for something that would explain the full air conditioning system. My car will kick out the heat and will put out a mixture when the air is on.