PDA

View Full Version : bill, if you wouldn't mind......

ryan roopnarine
06-28-2004, 12:21 AM
doing me a serious solid....i would really appreciate it if, sometime this week, you could look in the service manual (or if you know offhand already) and tell me the procedure for removing a 91 850 fuel pump or fuel sensor. myself and (owner) tried unscrewing it like a thermos top, to no avail. etk doesn't show any bolts or such holding it down, and neither of us can think of anything else. TIA if you can.

Bill R.
06-28-2004, 08:05 AM
a special tool to remove it but I have always been able to fabricate something to remove these big nuts... Usually a dull punch and a hammer to put against one of the notches on the nut to turn it with . when you remove it the seal is usually destroyed because it will swell up on contact with the air and you won't be able to get it back in. Bmw advises using a new nut and a new seal. Its the same process for both the left and right side unit.

doing me a serious solid....i would really appreciate it if, sometime this week, you could look in the service manual (or if you know offhand already) and tell me the procedure for removing a 91 850 fuel pump or fuel sensor. myself and (owner) tried unscrewing it like a thermos top, to no avail. etk doesn't show any bolts or such holding it down, and neither of us can think of anything else. TIA if you can.

DanDombrowski
06-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Its going to involve a crow-bar, a blow-torch, the taurus, a rivet gun, some glue and a chicken. You up for it?

Kidding, of course.

You in Horlando for the summer, or are you still up in gville? I'm in tampa right now for work, but have been traveling to the orlando office a bit.

ryan roopnarine
06-28-2004, 09:27 AM
im in das gainesville, it pains me to go to class for 8am. i ifind myself increasingly illegally parking in the visitor's park of AGH hospital to make it there before 845, traffid is a biotch for such a small town.

Its going to involve a crow-bar, a blow-torch, the taurus, a rivet gun, some glue and a chicken. You up for it?

Kidding, of course.

You in Horlando for the summer, or are you still up in gville? I'm in tampa right now for work, but have been traveling to the orlando office a bit.

ryan roopnarine
06-28-2004, 09:29 AM
thanks very much bill, was gonna suggest that the get one of those rubber jar lid removing wrenches that could fit the diameter of the thing and making a go at it. we've already tried a wooden picket and a hammer, it just seems to dull the edge of the picket. thanks a lot bill.

a special tool to remove it but I have always been able to fabricate something to remove these big nuts... Usually a dull punch and a hammer to put against one of the notches on the nut to turn it with . when you remove it the seal is usually destroyed because it will swell up on contact with the air and you won't be able to get it back in. Bmw advises using a new nut and a new seal. Its the same process for both the left and right side unit.

Bill R.
06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
now have fairly large strap wrenches for a reasonable price.

thanks very much bill, was gonna suggest that the get one of those rubber jar lid removing wrenches that could fit the diameter of the thing and making a go at it. we've already tried a wooden picket and a hammer, it just seems to dull the edge of the picket. thanks a lot bill.