PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program Error - Rebuilt Transmission

T. Martin
06-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I have a 1992 525I with automatic transmission. I have had the transmission rebuilt in January, and since then I periodically get the trans program error when I start the car. Most of the time you can turn the key off and back on again and it will be fine. I just got the car back out of the shop this week... they advised I had a broken washer in the transmission that was replaced. I also had the center bearing, flex disk, and drive shaft replaced. When I started the car on Friday morning I got the trans program error again, turned it off and back on again and it went away and hasn't happened again since. Anyone have any suggestions.

T. Martin

Scott C
06-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I have a 1992 525I with automatic transmission. I have had the transmission rebuilt in January, and since then I periodically get the trans program error when I start the car. Most of the time you can turn the key off and back on again and it will be fine. I just got the car back out of the shop this week... they advised I had a broken washer in the transmission that was replaced. I also had the center bearing, flex disk, and drive shaft replaced. When I started the car on Friday morning I got the trans program error again, turned it off and back on again and it went away and hasn't happened again since. Anyone have any suggestions.

T. Martin

Scott C
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Ah, sorry about prior post... Now a question, when this occurs does the transmission go into limp mode or not? If in limp mode, you will be restricted to operation in 3rd gear so accel will be impacted.

The following web site has many fixes (but did not fix mine)

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

Let me know, I will try to help.

Scott

T. Martin
06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Yep, every time. It only does it on start-up, never while driving. The garage has taken the tranny out and put it back in three times to no avail. I no for a fact, or at least they told me they have checked the speed sensor and tempature sensors. My car has been in the shop 4 out of the last 6 months. This is killing me, the car is paid for, but I feel like I'm still making payments. Help!

Bill R.
06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
you. Also on mine when i had the same problem, the trans program almost always occured on startup, it turned out to be the circuit board for the trans controller. More specifically the joints had the typical circular cracks where the relay connected to the board. Here's the relay pictured on one side of the board
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp%20copy.jpg

Heres the other side of the board.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp1%20copy.jpg

Here's the bulletin about the eeprom causing trans program in your car.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transprogram.jpg

To fix the board on mine I relsoldered all points that looked faulty to me and its worked fine ever since.

T. Martin

T. Martin
06-29-2004, 10:49 AM
where is this relay located. And is this something that I could do, or would you suggest taking this post to my garage and having them take a look at it?

Bill R.
06-29-2004, 10:56 AM
board as pictured on mine, however mine is a 4hp22eh not the same trans as yours so the board could be different and probably is. You'll have to remove the computer and look. The computer is located behind the passender side kick panel , its easiest to remove the glove box, then the kick panel to get at it. As far as repairing it goes it depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron, then again it may not be the trans controller on yours it may the eeprom like that bulletin states.

where is this relay located. And is this something that I could do, or would you suggest taking this post to my garage and having them take a look at it?

Scott C
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Since your transmission was "worked on", I would suggest that the speed sensor and/or connector (I am pretty sure yours has one) on the transmission would be the first thing to try. There are a slew of things that can cause this problem including one that has yet to be documented (because that is the one i have ;) ). Look at the link I sent you - the shift mechanism is also a source (if dirty)...

I disconnected my signal from the Trans control unit to the CCM and then tied the input to the CCM to ground - but I never went into limp mode.

Scott

Unregistered
06-30-2004, 02:01 AM

T. Martin

This needs an updated eeprom in the transmission control unit, it a very common problem that is fixed with the new eeprom as a post above suggests.