PDA

View Full Version : Help Picking Tires...

Boggie1688
06-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi Guys,

My Dunlop Sports A2s are soon to be in need of a change. They have served me well and the traction wet and dry is really good...especially when new. But now its been about 30k and its time for a change. What do you guys recommend? The tires lasted soo long because my dad was driving the car...but with me driving now I suspected I'll run the tires down a lot faster, because my driving is crazy. What kind of tires do you guys recommend for a 525i 91 with stock rims? for a kid thats gunna drive his car hard everyday...and that is lowered. I'm looking for something that is for all seasons and all conditions that will give me maybe better perfomance than my sports a2s. I can probably go up to 80 - 100 dollars per tire.

Thanks

Phil M
06-27-2004, 01:08 AM
damn, I just put the Sport A2's on mine. he got 30K outta them? nice. ive been hearing a few bad stories about them but also heard lots of good.

you should look at tire rack (http://www.tirerack.com). youll pretty much find the best prices there and great service. if youre planning on shopping around town then tire rack is a good place to find out about what kind of tires that various places are selling and whether or not youre getting a good deal. but if you do buy from tire rack, most places will do the labor to replace, rotate, balance so dont worry about that (if you are).

altho lots of guys here rave about the Yokohama AVS dB S2 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+dB+S2&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=065VR5DBS2&fromCompare1=yes)

Hi Guys,

My Dunlop Sports A2s are soon to be in need of a change. They have served me well and the traction wet and dry is really good...especially when new. But now its been about 30k and its time for a change. What do you guys recommend? The tires lasted soo long because my dad was driving the car...but with me driving now I suspected I'll run the tires down a lot faster, because my driving is crazy. What kind of tires do you guys recommend for a 525i 91 with stock rims? for a kid thats gunna drive his car hard everyday...and that is lowered. I'm looking for something that is for all seasons and all conditions that will give me maybe better perfomance than my sports a2s. I can probably go up to 80 - 100 dollars per tire.

Thanks

Dizzy
06-27-2004, 05:51 AM
I recently bought some B.F. Goodrich tracion ta radials. I paid $400.00 installed for V rated ones they have a very good grip in wet or dry. You can also get them in a H rating. Also they are very quiet. So far I really like them a lot, but I only have 2k or so on them.

Thanks

rickm
06-27-2004, 07:25 AM
altho lots of guys here rave about the Yokohama AVS dB S2[/url]

I have these, I've had them for maybe 10k and they still have a lot of tread left.

Tirerack has them for around 70.00 or so. If you price mounting via one of their recommended shops they'll ask 20/tire. My mechanic here does mounting for 10/tire. Locally the dB S2 were around 110.00 each.

Boggie1688
06-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Yea Dizzy I was looking at those tires...the reviews on tirerack.com were raving saying how wonderful they were...

But then the Yokohama thread looks way cooler...hahahaha

Rick L
06-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Yokohama AVS db S2 is great tires if you're not worried about snow. They are quiet and seemed to handle great but in snow, forget it! I live in Chicago so snow is an issue. I decided to use snow tires for winter now since all-weather tires still doesn't compare to dedicated winter tires. You should check TireRack customer survey on tires. I think the survey will guide you to a right choice. :)

damn, I just put the Sport A2's on mine. he got 30K outta them? nice. ive been hearing a few bad stories about them but also heard lots of good.

you should look at tire rack (http://www.tirerack.com). youll pretty much find the best prices there and great service. if youre planning on shopping around town then tire rack is a good place to find out about what kind of tires that various places are selling and whether or not youre getting a good deal. but if you do buy from tire rack, most places will do the labor to replace, rotate, balance so dont worry about that (if you are).

altho lots of guys here rave about the Yokohama AVS dB S2 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+dB+S2&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=065VR5DBS2&fromCompare1=yes)

Tiger
06-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Tire size???

Boggie1688
06-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Uhh...I dunno...I'll ask my dad when he wakes up...but all I can tell u is that the tires are stock 15inch rims...on a 1991 525i...

Rick L
06-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Stock 15" are usually 225/60/15 on E34.

Uhh...I dunno...I'll ask my dad when he wakes up...but all I can tell u is that the tires are stock 15inch rims...on a 1991 525i...