PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid changing 530I from ZF recommendation

632 Regal
06-25-2004, 04:10 PM
OK they really didnt answer my question...or did they?

Comments: Gentlemen, I have a 1994 bmw 530i which has the 5hp18 transmission. My question is about the transmission fluid and fluid service recomendations, I have read many things on this subject and have just found this web site. The transmission has 158,000 miles on it and would like to know if it is safe to change the filter and replace the fluid with fresh or if it is not recommended to ever change it, change a little at a time or completely flush and fill. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thank you

Dear Jeff Bidoli,

Thank you for your interest in ZF Industries, Inc., especially in the program for ZF automatic transmissions for BMW 5-speed passenger car applications.

In regards to your question about factory recommendations for fluid changes in your ZF 5-speed automatic transmission, the transmission fluid is Dexron D-21065 and should be changed every two (2) years or 30,000 miles (whatever occurs first). However, if you decide to change the fluid in your transmission more frequently, that may increase the life of the transmission and may enhance the shift behavior.

Remember to use only OEM recommended products, such as OE filter and transmission fluid. The filter in your transmission has ZF part number 0501 005 185 (OEM # 24 34 1 422 513) and the transmission fluid ZF part # S671 090 069.

If you are looking for spare parts, ZF Industries, Inc. has a network of independent distributors throughout North America. They offer the wide variety of spare parts for all ZF passenger car transmission applications as well as ZF factory remanufactured transmissions. Please contact your preferred independent distributor about availability.

Two types of distributors offer the ZF passenger car transmission product line. Regional distributors and nationwide distributors, such as ATC Distribution Group and Transtar Industries, Inc. with various locations throughout North America. Both regional and nationwide distributors have access to all the ZF spare parts, kits, lubrications, and literature. In addition, the regional distributors can offer technical assistance in regards to ZF passenger car transmissions.

If you are looking for a passenger car transmission distributor, please check our distributor locator on the ZF North America web-page www.zflife2.com at http://www.zf-group.com/am/pc/pt/ampcpt06.phtml for a distributor close to your location.

I would really appreciate, if you could inform me about your experiences with our distributors. If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Axel Blaschke
Regional Sales Manager

ZF Industries, Inc.
777 Hickory Hill Drive, Vernon Hills/IL 60089/USA
passcarinfo@zf.com

Phil M
06-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Seems as the email is a generic email sent to you probably due to the many emails similar to yours that they probably get. I think someone other than he actually skims over your email, figures out what trans you have, and then sends you the corresponding email. They seem as if they have no answers and really would like for their distributors to answer the more specific questions rather than themsleves.

632 Regal
06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Seems as the email is a generic email sent to you probably due to the many emails similar to yours that they probably get. I think someone other than he actually skims over your email, figures out what trans you have, and then sends you the corresponding email. They seem as if they have no answers and really would like for their distributors to answer the more specific questions rather than themsleves.

Phil M
06-25-2004, 05:03 PM
definately.. hah. i looked at the distributors in the midwest, where im from, and kirt koellers place came up. **** the zf people and just talk to him..

Tiger
06-25-2004, 05:34 PM
So how is your tranny running that Dextron stuff?

Tiger
06-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I would definitely change the fluid...before the sediments inside ruins your valve body.

Tiger
06-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Nice ass??? I'd rather see your GF's ass...

Phil M
06-25-2004, 05:51 PM
haha yea right if i posted that pic, thered be no more ass for me.

Nice ass??? I'd rather see your GF's ass...

Tiger
06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
LOL... I remembered...

ryan roopnarine
06-25-2004, 08:16 PM
i thought that the "new school" of thought about a tranny flush on a neglected unit was that by changing the filter immediately after disturbing the filter, and changing it a short period after that ensured that the filter catching the accumulated crap could be relieved before it starved the tranny for das juice, and avoid the failure that seemed to accompany changing the fluid on such a unit. isn't kirt in michigan? methinks asking him would be helpful.

Tiger
06-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes, Kirt is in MI... He did a great job on my valve body.