PDA

View Full Version : Touring Rear Glass Lip "Spoiler" Removal- Anyone....???

Don McAdams
06-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Anyone removed the black small lip spoiler on the top of the rear hatch glass? How does it come off the glass (urethaned on, bolted, etc...??)?

I need to remove it to tap out one of the studs that mounts the third brake light & replace the brake light harness & light bar-

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Thanks-

525iT_Feen
06-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I'll go take a look when my dad gets home.

EDIT: That spoiler isn't coming off from the looks of things. There are the two center screws that will most likely be corroded. When you remove those you can get to the third brake light. The spoiler is stuck and sealed onto the window.

Don McAdams
06-24-2004, 06:07 PM
I'll go take a look when my dad gets home.

EDIT: That spoiler isn't coming off from the looks of things. There are the two center screws that will most likely be corroded. When you remove those you can get to the third brake light. The spoiler is stuck and sealed onto the window.

One of those screws snapped while removing the rear brake light :( So I need to remove the lip spoiler to tap out that hole & also lace in the new 3rd brake light harness & lamp assembly....

The book shows .3 to remove the spoiler- There are 3 (on each side) nuts that hold it onto the hatch glass (under the trim panels on each side)- I will have to tackle this on Saturday.... :(

Just wondered if anyone has had the lip spoiler off before.....

THANKS!!!!

525iT_Feen
06-25-2004, 01:59 PM
hrm. It didn't look like it was coming off to me, but I was wrong.

Good luck... Next time use some WD40. It always helps a little.
I always snap atleast one thing when I go to work with the touring.

Good luck.

Bill R.
06-25-2004, 02:07 PM
One of those screws snapped while removing the rear brake light :( So I need to remove the lip spoiler to tap out that hole & also lace in the new 3rd brake light harness & lamp assembly....

The book shows .3 to remove the spoiler- There are 3 (on each side) nuts that hold it onto the hatch glass (under the trim panels on each side)- I will have to tackle this on Saturday.... :(

Just wondered if anyone has had the lip spoiler off before.....

THANKS!!!!

Don McAdams
06-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks A Million Bill :)

ScottyWM
06-25-2004, 05:01 PM
So what's the trick? Don't keep secrets! I may need to know sometime?

Mediablitz
02-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Trying to remove spoiler and ran out of luck with the forum.

Need to replace wiring to the 3rd Brake light.

Bill R. What's the secret?

Bowman Kelley

leicesterboy15
02-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Not sure if this is of any help but the procedure for replacing the high brake light bulbs is below:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Back_light.htm

Mediablitz
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
The lamps are OK, i need to access the wiring underneath the spoiler. I rigged it and the lamps are back on but I need to remove the spoiler to cut back the wiring to make a more professional repair.

How on earth is the spoiler attached?

Bowman

Qsilver7
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
The lamps are OK, i need to access the wiring underneath the spoiler. I rigged it and the lamps are back on but I need to remove the spoiler to cut back the wiring to make a more professional repair.

How on earth is the spoiler attached?

Bowman
I would suggest (left) clicking on BillR's name...it will open a box where you can choose to send him a Private Message. In that PM, I'd link back to this thread (copy the URL and paste it into your message) and ask Bill if he can share the same information with you that he gave to Don. It appears BillR still posts frequently so he should get your message.

Or you can see if you can contact Don McAdams...and do the same...post a link back to this thread etc...so that he'll have a reference point. You may have to check if you can email him...when I pulled up his posts...it's been a while since he's been on the board.

Good luck :)