PDA

View Full Version : Serious 95 540 Auto Transmission Problem

rnrn
06-24-2004, 11:59 AM
OK, going northbound on I94 in Chicago, left lane, 75mph and the rpms jump a couple grand and NO GEAR. Hazards go on, coast to shoulder and try all gears--NOTHING. Switch to Manual mode--NOTHING. No fluid on the road behind me, under the car or the flatbed to the dealer. There were no symptoms at all before this, flawless performance. 87K on tranny. I believe there was one fluid change in the past.

The engine still turns and idles fine, all electrical systems work. Perillo BMW wants $5800 for a new trans (expected, of course) but I would love your input and I'm going to tow it to a couple indies as well that I know. This sounds electrical to me because the car won't even limp or crawl.

Your help is much appreciated.

Ross

new540iowner
06-24-2004, 02:03 PM
to allow the computer to reset. Some people have reported solving the TRANS PROGRAM error by clearing the computer after removing the battery cables.

Elekta
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
You didn't happen to spill a coke on your shifter did you?

byurko
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Auto Sports Unlimited, Inc.
Phone: (800) 624-3876 or (616) 748-5735
europetransman@hotmail.com

A call to ZF might help you out as well... http://www.zf-group.com/am/pc/pt/ampcpt06.phtml

rnrn
06-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Some coffee, but that was a couple days ago. Is this for real?

Elekta
06-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Isn't there a tranny chip or relay down there? I'm not saying it's the DME, but I've heard that getting funk on this relay can give serious electrical issues that can make one think that their tranny is shot.

I know I've read a story like that in the archives, but I can't verify. Hopefully one of the ETK/TIS whiz's on the board can validate. search "trans prog" in the archives.

I know I mucked up my window switches with a coke, and after careful cleaning they are good as new. If you can clean that relay, then disco your battery, you might reboot everything and walk away from this scare unscathed.

I'll check my faves...
here's one link
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/
http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/E34.html

I think R Kieffer has a story about cleaning the shift lever position switch and also the auto/manual switch. Then there's the speed sensor inside the tranny itself. Lastly there's a bit about bending farther apart some contact blades in the DME and super cleaning the contacts in the tranny computer...

<slightly dangerous advice, proceed with caution>

JonE
06-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Your symptoms sound exactly like what happened to me with a 1990 Audi I had. Rolling along just fine then, vroom rpms up and no go. Mine did need a tranny rebuild, done by Kennedy Transmission (indy recommended) but cost at least half of what your Perillo BMW wants. I know, it's a different make of car, so maybe yours will be electrical? Anyway, good luck with the indy's.

Tiger
06-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Definitely call Kirt... It can be a valve body problem... such so low of a mileage.

Richinsandiego
06-24-2004, 10:53 PM
The transmission module on those puppies can go bad. With such low miles I doubt that it's mechanical also. Rebuilt modules (I have used these guys with good luck) are available at www.foreignecurepair.com, located in Florida.

The shifter on the 95 540i is pretty pepsi-proof, it's just a magnetic switch.

Good Luck, a transmission code can be hard to chase down.

Rich in San Diego
95 540i, 93k, Nikasil replacement underway