PDA

View Full Version : e34 new tire suggestions?

reuston
06-23-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm buying new all-season 205/65-15 tires for my 89 525i, and want some suggestions. My two favorite picks so far are Michelin XGT V4 and Yokohama AVS db2. Any comments about experiences with those tires, or others, are appreciated.

I'd also like to hear about how much air you add to compensate for the difference in load ratings. The manual calls for 94V, but most tires I'm finding are 92's. Anyone run H's instead of V's?

Thanks for you comments!

Jeff N.
06-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I had the 225/55/r16 Yoko AVS db2 (early version, not the latest version). Got a whole 20k miles out of them, got noisy as they aged and tramlined like heck at the end. Other than that, great tire. ;)

Didn't buy that one again. Went to a full summer tire this time.

Jeff

Steve N
06-23-2004, 03:03 PM
I just put the AVS db2 S2 on my '95 about 3 weeks ago and love them. So far, I would buy them again. I also have the AVS db on my Touring with good results.

I'm buying new all-season 205/65-15 tires for my 89 525i, and want some suggestions. My two favorite picks so far are Michelin XGT V4 and Yokohama AVS db2. Any comments about experiences with those tires, or others, are appreciated.

I'd also like to hear about how much air you add to compensate for the difference in load ratings. The manual calls for 94V, but most tires I'm finding are 92's. Anyone run H's instead of V's?

Thanks for you comments!

rickm
06-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I have the Yoko Db S2 (the replacement for the db2). The ride is nice, they've worm well so far. Picked up one set last spring and the other set this winter. On the highway they're quiet and handle ok. The car is dead stock and is a daily driver (all interstate) plus a lot of long distance road trips. I check the air in them ever other week, only once or twice have they shown low. I run VR; 34 pounds up front, 37 in the back.

DueyT
06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I've not liked Mich XGT V4's on another car I had in the past, but I've not had them on the 540i. Mind you, the issues were poor traction and cracking sidewalls, which have nothing to do with car type. If those (XGT and Db S2) are the two tires on your short list, I'd go with the Db S2's...heard good things about them. Unfortunately, I run ZR ContiSport2's so that doesn't quite fit in with your intended usage I think....you may want to ask Jeff (632 Regal) how he likes his tires, I think he's running ContiTouring's on his 530i.

Cheers,
Duey

Gary M
06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
I did that on my 93 525i and it gave it a beefier look. Check out tire rack for prices, comparisons, and additional opinions.

Thanks for you comments!

JohnC
06-23-2004, 04:38 PM
i had bfg comp t/a in 225/60 and abused them for a few years and then sold my bottle caps with the tires about 2 years ago to a neighbor with an older 7 and hes still using them. those things do not wear at all. they still look new. only thing is the 225 width kinda gave it a ballon tire look unless you keep the tire pressure pretty high.

TimGinCentralNJ
06-24-2004, 02:23 PM
...they're a solid all-weather tire (I did try them in the snow) and are pretty decent in the rain. They are wearing well, too. My only complaint is how much sidewall flex they seem to exhibit. I'm running 35psi all-around which has helped slightly, but they still don't feel as 'rigid' as many tires I've had in the past.

I know they've been panned by many, but I did like my old Kumho Ecsta 712's....hard tires, fairly stiff, AWESOME in the rain, but bad in the snow. Ran them on my ol' E28 M5:
http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/E28_m5_images/E28-3qt9.jpg

Although I hate them, the Goodyear F-1 tire has a real-nice stiff sidewall...too bad it sucks in every other aspect.

Just my $.02

Rgds,
Tim G.
'91 535iM w/ nekked T-Stars

Thanks for you comments!

Gooch
06-24-2004, 04:35 PM
And if you want many miles get the BF Goodrich Traction TAs. Good stiff tires and beefier look. Good in rain too.

632 Regal
06-24-2004, 05:29 PM
After having extensive problems with some uniroyal (uni-eggs) tires I finally got into a set of Conti Extreme traction tires. In comparison with the former uni-eggs that didnt have a lot of miles id say the difference was very dramatic. I did get the honor of another out of round tire that was replaced but I love these tires!

They are (all in comparison) completley quiet, give very good traction for an all season tire and are very smooth riding. I cant wait to see how it goes in the snow but by the tread pattern id say I'm going to be impressed in that area also. I would definetly step up to the plate and buy another set if these ever wear down.

From what I have read these are made from a new silicone based compound that wears forever and is why they give such a nice ride.

The only downside to these things that I have noticed is if the car sits for more than a couple hours they flat spot (feels like there severly out of balance), probably the new compound but it only takes a couple miles for them to get round again.

I think they also have consumer ratings on tires somewhere...tirerack.com?

Russell
06-24-2004, 08:01 PM
I have 10,000 miles on them. Uograded from the stock 205/45 tires. They are great in rain, worked fine in snow. Seem quite. I am sure tehy are not the best ahndling tire, but this is my commute car.

Thanks for you comments!

Richinsandiego
06-24-2004, 10:44 PM
I have tried a lot of sport tires over the years. For something as polished as a 5 series I think Michelins or the Dunlop SPs are a better fit than some gumball. The XGT-Vs really don't wear very well, I don't think that they're worth the money compared to the Hs which do the job well and provide the Michelin ride at a medium price. BMWs are so picky in the suspension that a poor choice in tires, in addition to alignment problems, is immediately obvious.