PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is buying a used Volvo asking for trouble?

Adnan
06-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Hoping some of you know about Volvos - I'm considering buying a used V70 wagon for my wife, to replace her Subaru Legacy. Is this sheer folly? Do Volvos have reliability problems that suggest I'm better off with something else?

I think the model was redesigned in 2001; what years does one avoid, etc.?

Subarus seem to have major engine problems all the way up to 2001 so I'm tempted to look elsewhere.

Many thanks,
Adnan

Unregistered
06-23-2004, 10:19 AM
...make sure you have a good indy go over the car thoroughly. I bought my wife a 98 V70 T5 wagon with 78K on the clock last year and she loves it. We also have a good mechanic who ensured us that the car is good and so far no problem. I would avoid the 98-00 XC as they have bevel gear issues with the driveline and it is expensive (2-3K) to fix. We nowhave tons of room for bikes luggage and other stuff for trips. Also check out Brickboard.com for all types ofinfo on these cars.

Unregistered
06-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Hoping some of you know about Volvos - I'm considering buying a used V70 wagon for my wife, to replace her Subaru Legacy. Is this sheer folly? Do Volvos have reliability problems that suggest I'm better off with something else?

I think the model was redesigned in 2001; what years does one avoid, etc.?

Subarus seem to have major engine problems all the way up to 2001 so I'm tempted to look elsewhere.

Many thanks,
Adnan