PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience buying a ar in VA and moving it?

Rina120
06-23-2004, 09:47 AM
I am going to pick up a car tomorrow from VA and drive it back to PA.
PA said I have to call the DMV of VA to find out how to get a transfer registration so I can drive it through the states.

However, the VA DMV website gives me no information if I am not a VA resident. I have been calling the VA DMV ALL day and they won't even put me on hold because trhey have high call volumes.

Can I just play dumb if I get pulled over? Or do you guys know what t is I have to get?

PhilipJCaputo
06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
I'd say just take it mostly easy, and don't get pulled over... but if you do, show the copper the recently signed title (signed by the previous owner)..... as long as there are no other warrants for your arrest, you'll probably be ok.

I did this exact same thing 2 weeks ago, (kentucky to ohio)... I had to get the previous owners signature notorized..... don't know if you'll need to, but might be something to check out..

mikey535im
06-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Why not ask for the use of previous owners plates and mail them back on your arrival?
I've never had anyone deny me that.
Mike

rickm
06-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Call Penn DMV. Since you're a PA resident ask them how you'd be able to obtain a set of temporary tags. The VA DMV rep I talked to (Dad has a friend who works there, I called her) said since the vehicle would be registered in PA you'd have to talk to Penn DMV about getting tags. The State Police won't give you a free "get out of jail free" card for not having tags. Apparently it's not advised to loan out tags...not sure they'd put heat on the owner but they could give you some grief if you're pulled over.

Oh...I've seen people make up "tag applied for" to get around this, I'd be careful especially since you'll be driving a long ways and you never know when some local officer might decide to pull you over.

Mr Project
06-23-2004, 10:55 AM
I bought my 535i in VA, and drove it back to NE. They left the plates on for me, and I mailed them back when I arrived home. I had no issues, and I've done the cross-country-purchase thing a few times now. If they won't let you keep the plates for the drive, just make sure you have the title and a bill of sale in hand, and I really don't think you'll have any trouble.

Funny part about my trip? On the way out, I get a ticket driving a beige Honda Accord. On the way back, I get no trouble driving a Calypso BMW. :D

Rigmaster
06-23-2004, 11:12 AM
One big problem with borrowing the plates is that you are still using their insurance coverage. Many people (myself included) would be VERY reluctant to allow someone to do this- especially on a long drive with just the promise that the plates will be mailed back. When I sell a car, the plates come off it before it leaves my driveway- there's just too much liability.

I have driven the car to the new owner's house before- and pulled the plates off there, but the new owner lived here in town.

Most DMV's have some provision for temporary tags or something similar, but proof of insurance is usually required (make sure you have correct insurance for the vehicle being driven, not just other vehicles).....

Bret

Rina120
06-23-2004, 12:58 PM
thanks for the responses everyone! And thanks to Rick for putting in a call for me. Seems like PA DMV doesn't know what they are talking about. They swear it's VA's issue and I was told a THIRD way to do this by the THIRD agent I spoke to.

as for the plates, I have my PA plates that I plan on using. One quick call to my insurance company and the vehicle will be insured prior to the drive. I will take it easy and hope for the best. ONce I cross into PA, I have 10 days before I have to register it, title it or anything. I just have to make it through VA, MD and little itty bitty DE.

Thanks again!

Tiger
06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Itty bitty DE is where they gets you... every single time... Pay attention to their speed limits... it changes very rapidly... usually 55 MPH only.

Mr Project
06-23-2004, 06:14 PM
With my Ins. Co., once the car changes ownership (to me), it's covered automatically with equivalent coverage to my highest-coverage other car. I then have 30 days to get it specifically added to the policy, and it's covered during that time (had a break-in at about 20 days once that was covered under this rule, hadn't gotten it added yet) Not related to whether the plates are on or not. So not all companies may be the same... worth checking!

rickm
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Itty bitty DE is where they gets you... every single time... Pay attention to their speed limits... it changes very rapidly... usually 55 MPH only.

No sh*t. There is nothing there but CC company billing addresses (since they have a really high % limits a CC company is allowed to charge) and little else. They're almost as bad as MD, I've heard stories of out of state drivers being pulled for 6 over on interstate roads.

No problem with the call, I had to talk to the folks anyway.

You could get VA tags but you'd have to get a VA license then pay sales tax on it...I think, unless VA did away with the tax. Just keep the title with you and any sales related paperwork. If you're replacing the car I'd call your insurance company before the return trip to get it transferred over (maybe one of the Ins guys here will clarify this). GEICO wanted to know immediately, NationWide cut me some slack.