PDA

View Full Version : New batch of oil spray bar banjo bolts, cross-drilled for safety wire ready to ship

gale
06-22-2004, 08:28 PM
For all m30 & m70 engines

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/bb-5.jpg

- 2 new OEM BMW "new style" banjo bolts
- 4 new OEM BMW crush washers
- safety wire
- instructions
- free postage (48 States)

$17.50 for the set

PayPal preferred

e-mail: dgnrg@nmia.com

More details:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/banjo.htm

Hector
06-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't have experience with paypal but I can send you a money order. I believe I got your home address from an e-mail you sent me. Are you good with this?

gale
06-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Sure Hector, that will be fine

TC535i
06-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Payment sent... hope I have these in time for the weekend!

gale
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Still have more sets in stock

Hector
06-24-2004, 10:50 AM
nada

Unregistered
06-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Other than cross-drilling for safety wire, how do these bolts differ from stock?

In other words, I've heard the original banjo bolts had problems with inadequate oil flow, so what do these bolts do to fix that?

gale
06-28-2004, 01:01 PM
All I do is take off the shelf BMW banjo bolts and cross-drill the hex head for a safety wire. The flow characterisics remain the same as stock. I am not aware of flow problems due to the bolts themselves, not to say that there isn't one, just haven't heard of it up to now.

Hector
06-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Just yesterday I was doing my m30 head pre-assembly cleaning of parts including the oil sprayer bar. Even if insufficient oil flow to the appropriate parts in the head were a problem, I don't think that drilling bigger holes (my initial reaction) in the banjo bolt would increase oil flow as the limitation would be in the crimped portion of the bar where the banjo bolts goes through. Would need to redesign the bar itself.

George Mann
06-28-2004, 04:25 PM
inadequate flow, but the standard banjo bolts and oil distribution bar work fine provided the bolts retain their torque. That is the benefit of Don Gale's safety wire kit which I just installed on my M-30. You M-30 guys out there that haven't taken advantage of what Don is offering in particular at his price which is almost at cost as a a service to this board are missing out greatly. As to changing the bolt internal hole sizes...two issues...one, boring larger hole size in cross section or axially will weaken the structure of the bolt itself and two...increasing internal bore size can actually decrease not increase flow because flow is proportional to pressure which is proportional to hole cross-sectional area.
The current banjo bolt design and oil distribution bar are fine. Testiment to this is I have almost 150k on my M-30 with the original cam and it still looks pretty good...tall praise to adequate oil distribution up top.
HTH,
George...big six is BMW's small block Chevy.

Unregistered
06-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm new to Bimmers, and have a '90 535i with automatic tranny.

Anyhow, I'd read somewhere that the original banjo bolts had problems, so were superceded/replaced. I do not know if the banjo bolts in my car were ever upgraded, or how to tell the difference between new and old types, or if the whole story is even correct.

So, any further light you can shed on the banjo bolt story for M30 engines would be most appreciated.

Hector
06-29-2004, 08:50 AM
an arm and a leg... and by doing so you are getting one step closer in making your bimmer last longer. As far as work involved, I'd rate it as 1/2 wrench in the category of difficulty.

AllanS
06-29-2004, 08:54 AM
You'll need a torque wrench that goes down to 8-10ft/lbs of torque though, if you want to get it relatively exact.

winfred
06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
the new ones have a ring machined into the top to id them, the only difference is they come with locktight on them, i just clean and locktight the old ones

Anyhow, I'd read somewhere that the original banjo bolts had problems, so were superceded/replaced. I do not know if the banjo bolts in my car were ever upgraded, or how to tell the difference between new and old types, or if the whole story is even correct.