PDA

View Full Version : Crap, sold the E34, and now the instrument cluster died

Bruno
06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
5 years I had the car and no problem on the cluster... 2 days after selling it, now the instrument cluster died and I have to fix it before delivering the car to the customer....

No fuel gauge, no temp gauge, and not messages, and no odometer...

Life bites.

Tiger
06-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Could it be as simple as a fuse?

Warren N.CA
06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
the cluster. Simply removing and replacing the connectors may restore operation. Removing/replacing each connector several times will clean it better. Stabilant will help the fix last longer.

5 years I had the car and no problem on the cluster... 2 days after selling it, now the instrument cluster died and I have to fix it before delivering the car to the customer....

No fuel gauge, no temp gauge, and not messages, and no odometer...

Life bites.

mholbrook
06-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Mine dies like that sometimes and a medium open hand slap to the top of the dash usually jars it back into action. YMMV

mancini_mark
06-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey Bruno,

Go to Dom's east of Toronto. Their used clusters were in the $150-$220 range with a 90 day warranty. Otherwise, the best I found in Toronto was $300.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Bill R.
06-22-2004, 03:11 PM
connection and one of the connectors on the backside...Some deoxit spray and a little stabilant from Gordon and you'll be good as new

the cluster. Simply removing and replacing the connectors may restore operation. Removing/replacing each connector several times will clean it better. Stabilant will help the fix last longer.

Warren N.CA
06-22-2004, 03:38 PM
of the glare shield. Perhaps mine is a trifle masochistic :).

Mine dies like that sometimes and a medium open hand slap to the top of the dash usually jars it back into action. YMMV

Bruno
06-22-2004, 04:43 PM
connection and one of the connectors on the backside...Some deoxit spray and a little stabilant from Gordon and you'll be good as new

I didn't beleive it at 1st but I said what the heck, I uplug all the connectors and reconnected everything... and Voila, it works like new now.
I better leave the car in the garage until I finish pulling everything out now...

Thanks Guys you are the best.... Almost makes me keep my E34.....

Nannn, time to move on to smaller things.