PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Automatic?

Unregistered
06-22-2004, 06:11 AM
I'm looking to buy my first E34 & looking at 525i's, Most of the ones I come accross are automatic. I personally would prefer a manual but cant seem to find a decent one. Closest I've come is a '94 pre facelift one with 141,000 miles on the clock. How is does an auto 525i perform in comparrison to a manual & are they good gearboxes etc? Seen a lovely '95 model with 126k on the clock, got everything I want but its an auto. What would you all recommend?

Thanks.

G Feller
06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Hold out! Assuming you have a reliable vehicle now, keep looking (perhaps broaden your circle a little bit) until you find a 5-speed. There were a lot fewer of them made, but they're out there.

If you like to drive a stick and you are set on a 525 (why not another E34, maybe you like the '95 with painted rocker panels and 530/540 is more $?), you will definitely be disappointed in an automatic, because you will not be able to get even close to the most out of that engine with the auto shift points.

Where are you?

I personally would prefer a manual.

RobPatt 93 525i auto...
06-22-2004, 01:05 PM
while you'll still love to drive your E34 auto, you'll always have that quiet voice telling you how a stick would be "even more of a good thing". Hold out, find a stick.... Mine is an auto, and I love it (but.... rowing gears is fun) Either way, it's a bimmer. Good luck. Rob.

Unregistered
06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Cheers chaps,

Will stick to a manual, just thought I'd ask about an auto anyway. Will keep lookin, Just found a '92 525 that looks good. Will give em a bell tommorrow & maybe go have a look. Only lookin at 525's as they were recommended to me on here a week or so ago. Ideally want a 535 or the 540 but a decent one here (London) is a bit hard to find. Hopefully be a fully fledged E34 owner within the next two weeks!!! Can't wait!

Mike M
06-22-2004, 01:59 PM
while you'll still love to drive your E34 auto, you'll always have that quiet voice telling you how a stick would be "even more of a good thing". Hold out, find a stick.... Mine is an auto, and I love it (but.... rowing gears is fun) Either way, it's a bimmer. Good luck. Rob.

yeah, i had auto for a long time...but i just recently did a 5-speed conversion. i'd say i'm a LOT happier now.

Scott H
06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
tell us more........I heard it's not quite done, but you took it to Chambana anyway?

Bellicose Right Winger
06-22-2004, 02:11 PM
A few more points to keep in mind.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US the '93 and later 525's have VANOS, variable intake valve timing. This GREATLY enhances the low speed torque characteristics of the engine. I'd consider it essential if you have to settle for an automatic, less so if you find a manual, but still desireable for the same reasons.

While I share the preference for manual transmissions and I wouldn't think of parting with my '93 525iM, my wife's '90 535iA is an absolute blast to drive and it's a little quicker to 60 MPH. It also has quite an appetite for fuel, 16 vs 22 MPG for the 525iM.

Manual transmissions are far more common on your side of the pond then over here, so maybe you'll find one easier then we can. Don't pass up any opportunity to test drive a 535/540 be it a auto or manual, if only for the experience of it. You can always walkaway to "think about it".

Good luck with your search and like G Feller & RobPatt said...hold out for the manual. We all know how hard it is to be patient when you've got new car fever.

Paul Shovestul

Cheers chaps,

Will stick to a manual, just thought I'd ask about an auto anyway. Will keep lookin, Just found a '92 525 that looks good. Will give em a bell tommorrow & maybe go have a look. Only lookin at 525's as they were recommended to me on here a week or so ago. Ideally want a 535 or the 540 but a decent one here (London) is a bit hard to find. Hopefully be a fully fledged E34 owner within the next two weeks!!! Can't wait!

Rina120@yahoo.com
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
This is all kinda funny to me.
I would prefer an automatic because I can't drive stick. This is the fourth 5 series I have shopped for and this time EVERY single one was a stick.
So.....i bought a stick and I will learn how to drive it.

Kinda funny because one ad said "rare 5 speed" and I chuckled because it was like the 8th one I saw for sale in about a week!

So yeah, hold out. You'll find it

bahnstormer
06-22-2004, 02:15 PM
525 with auto is very slow
535 with auto is driveable albeit w/out a grin

JonE
06-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I really like my '90 535, automatic, with the EAT chip it is even better. I don't think I could stand my commute to work with any manual tranny. I get about 24mpg highway and 18-19mpg city driving. I would guess that with the 4.27 differential it would all but fly (mine is the 3.91).