PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rant - drivers who hit & run

Adnan
06-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Well, our '96 Legacy met an untimely demise. My wife was driving in the slow lane on I-680 when some idiot in a bespoilered something tried to pass her on the shoulder. The shoulder was too narrow, of course, and it all ended up with the Subaru on the embankment after flipping over, at least once.

Fortunately, it looks like my wife's okay so far. Folks stopped and helped her out and gave statements to the CHP. Pretty amazing, modern cars! Not only did the airbags deploy, but the fuel cut solenoid also appears to have done its thing. The tow truck operator actually started the car up and drove it off the embankment.

Of course, the jerk who started this took off. How do people do that? Take no responsibility for your actions! I just hope someone got his plate number and calls it in.

Now we have to replace the Suby and my wife wants another one just like it, knowing that it performed superbly in the crash. Any words of advice on which years to avoid? Ours was fine but I'd like to get something newer. I briefly considered a Volvo but they seem to have a lot of reliability issues.

Thanks for putting up with this decidedly non-BMW post.

Adnan

TheGeak
06-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Wow...i'm glad your wife is ok!! I hope they catch the guy, did your wife at least get a description of the car? I see an STi in her future ;)

rickm
06-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I hope the mrs is ok and they catch - and devein - the ass that drove her off of the road.

Volvos aren't too bad. My wife has a 95 850 that's treated her ok with the exception of some electrical issues (her CD changer had a power leak that would drain the battery). It's a blast to drive, gets decent mileage and is comfy. Not as heavy as the e34 but it's fun for around town driving. Easy to toss around in corners. :) The early V70 were problematic, I've heard ok things about the newer ones. brickboard.com is a great Volvo resource.

winfred
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
we just had a hit and run infront of the shop saturday, some choad rear ended a late model taurus and spun out into our parkinglot, he got it cranked and hauled ass

Adnan
06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi,

I think she's going to be okay, at least physically, if not emotionally. Time does heal all wounds, for the most, so things will eventually return to normal.

Regards,
Adnan