PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Lock ABS Brakes Hydraulic Pump 4 Channel - rebuildable?

califblue
02-06-2018, 10:22 AM
replaced the rear upper shock mounts and no more rattling noise.
I bled my brakes and the right rear port of the ABS block is clogged. ( has to be some dirt or rust as fluid was filty...my own fault)
can I rebuild it, if so who has the kit?
Has anyone done this?
or do I buy a used one off ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E32-E34-E31-Anti-Lock-ABS-Brakes-Hydraulic-Pump-4-Channel-1988-1994-OEM-/142550988453?rmvSB=true

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 01:39 PM
How do you know the port is blocked?

That Ebay one is ugly, especially since the ports are open. You have any local pullapart.com around?

califblue
02-06-2018, 01:49 PM
it will not bleed...all the others bleed thru.
even removed the line and blew air from where it connects to the bleed screw on the back of the caliper...
is there a way to cycle the ports?

yes looked for pick your part ...none in stock will continue to look

califblue
02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
I just found this...
You need to cycle the abs if air gets into the abs system. It is done through the diagnostic connector with the BMW service tester. The abs pump cycles a little everytime you start the car, so if you bleed it a few times the air will probably eventually clear out, but the proper procedure is to initiate a special bleed routine through the diagnostic connector. A BMW dealer or a BMW only shop should be able to do it.

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 02:38 PM
it will not bleed...all the others bleed thru.
even removed the line and blew air from where it connects to the bleed screw on the back of the caliper...
is there a way to cycle the ports?

yes looked for pick your part ...none in stock will continue to look

I'm not really following you. You blew air through the brake line from the bleeder (at the wheel) through to the beginning of the line at the ABS unit?

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 02:40 PM
I just found this...
You need to cycle the abs if air gets into the abs system. It is done through the diagnostic connector with the BMW service tester. The abs pump cycles a little everytime you start the car, so if you bleed it a few times the air will probably eventually clear out, but the proper procedure is to initiate a special bleed routine through the diagnostic connector. A BMW dealer or a BMW only shop should be able to do it.

Did you get air into the system?

califblue
02-06-2018, 03:45 PM
no I disconnected the line at the ABS and blew through the line to the rear when it did not bleed. now I have no right rear break...doesn't pull when applying brakes

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 05:28 PM
no I disconnected the line at the ABS and blew through the line to the rear when it did not bleed. now I have no right rear break...doesn't pull when applying brakes

Okay, there is a way to cycle the abs but I don't remember how. When I bled my brakes with the pressure cap it bled all four no issue, same when I mechanically bled them. Look into cycling the ABS unit so you can bleed that rear brake, I can't right now. I doubt the unit is bad, at least lets try to make it work before replacing it.

califblue
02-06-2018, 05:41 PM
I agree...will try cycling by turning on and off the key..correct?

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 06:06 PM
I agree...will try cycling by turning on and off the key..correct?

I don't remember and am unable to look it up right now. I need 2 or 3 hours before I can.

califblue
02-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks I will wait until you have time to find it..TIA

632 Regal
02-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Thanks I will wait until you have time to find it..TIA

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e24/brakes/e24_bleeding_abs_brakes.html

What year/model do you have?

From preliminary reading you need to go out and lock up the brakes for the ABS to kick in. You will feel it in the peddle. After that you should be able to manually bleed the lines. The violent ABS function should cause any sticking to be released and fluid should flow on all 4 ports. I have not come across anyone with a single line that wont bleed yet but again my time is limited. I will continue to poke around and update things. Come on over and fix my radio and I'll fix your brakes...

califblue
02-08-2018, 03:19 PM
I have the bosch modle 265-201-022

i will try the lock um procedure

632 Regal
02-08-2018, 08:15 PM
I have the bosch modle 265-201-022

i will try the lock um procedure

Year and model car would be helpful in my research.

This module crosses a lot of cars but nothing particular.

Seems it should work or not work however cycling is a big fix, mostly from jamming the brakes, not so sure how that will work since you emptied an entire brake line. If the line was full with a little air pocket I can see it helping but empty might be a different story. Not sure, really doubt the ABS unis is bad.

genphreak
02-10-2018, 10:24 PM
I would fill the line and re-connect, then let the factory program circulate the fluid like it does when they do the service procedure used when disconnection has been done. I guess the danger is that air gets into all four lines, or upstream in the block. You never know they may have somehow designed it so that a catastrophic loss on one would isolate that line given each is controlled by discrete valves, sensing the air is all it has to do and the ABS brain could do this based on input from each valve. I'd be careful doing any ABS lockups if this means driving with the possibility of a lot of air getting into the block.