PDA

View Full Version : the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated, also i own a e34 again

winfred
09-16-2017, 07:34 PM
i am impressed my profile still exists, long long ago in the before time when last i was here i think i had a heavily molested e12 based e24, sold and the m6 built with the bones of a rusted out low mile m635 that replaced it got totaled by some nozzle in a camry on a cell phone, my black e30 totaled and replaced with a white one thats about as modified as a e30 can get and still pass for a normal car (m-coupe suspension, stroked m20, paxton blower.....) annnnnnd this brings us to today when i picked up a pretty nice 95 525it with a weak tranny and the complete axle to axle driveline from a 535 but its a slushbox so i gotta scare up a 5 speed, that'll take a minute or two longer then it use to as i don't run a bmw salvage yard any more

632 Regal
09-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Who TF is Winfred?

632 Regal
09-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I didn't read s hit, just saw your profile pop up and have to ask... Where all the hookers go to?

Paul in NZ
09-17-2017, 04:41 AM
wow how long has that been!

shogun
09-17-2017, 06:25 AM
a long time since he last posted: 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM Thread: Worn Camshaft Lobe at 200k miles
by winfred

winfred
09-17-2017, 10:14 AM
yah still mildly nutso, one of the top guys in a buick gmc dealer now with ase master status and 100% gm certified making actual money, instead of being paid in parts by a alcoholic pothead to run the junkyard, have a few new toys as such

i have no idea why pic is upside down, deleted pic and flipped it then reuploaded and its still upside down banghead so i guess its meant to be

shogun
09-17-2017, 08:43 PM
my truck is a 'bit' smaller than yours, mighty 660cc and almost 40 HP :p
1998 Honda Acty

winfred
09-17-2017, 09:02 PM
those are cute and quite a few of them make it over here to be used as hunting and farm trucks, smaller then a pick up and bigger then a 4wheeler ive seen nice 4x4 with ac units go 6-8 grand

my truck is a 'bit' smaller than yours, mighty 660cc and almost 40 HP :p
1998 Honda Acty

Dave M
09-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Welcome back, nice find on the touring. I'm sure there is still crap on my e34 that came from you.....

genphreak
10-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Too right, a warm welcome home Winfred, from downunder!

That touring looks low at the back- is it a sad LAD still? I imagine with a 535 rear end (3.65 or 3.91?) it could have had all that addressed but if at that height it may have stock sedan shocks, or something who knows what. I was close to putting an M60 in mine alogn with M60 Sport front swaybar with some adjustable links on a stiffer rear one too, though finding one would be a challenge.

Love the touring. Nothing better than a 95 with an M30/5 other than perhaps an S38, or my fave combo would be an M54 with a 5 or 6 speed, sport seats and an LSD. Have you got any LSD in yours?

winfred
10-06-2017, 10:34 PM
its tied down on the trailer so its not at height in the pic, no self leveling but it does have some h&r springs, i think the rears are installed but the fronts are in a box in the large pile of stuff that came with it, not sure what ratio is currently in it likely 4.10, i have a 3.91ls from the 535ia donor and a buddy while on vacation stumbled across a goldmine of e34s in a salvage yard in utah and scored me the sex change parts i needed (trans/shifter pedal box DS and a 3.46ls) as i wasn't wild about doing a m30 swap and having a EH slushbox to get working only to eventually yank and install a 5 speed, i was planning on seeing whats up with the 4l30e (thats what gm calls it) and if repairable without removing it (maybe a loose band or solenoid issue, s'posed ta be a rebuilt tranny that sounds like it might be going into limp when it shifts into OD by the description) run it as a 525 till the goodies are gathered to do a 535 right, but now that i have all but the cam and headers i want within my grasp screw the m50/4l30e, the engine runs fine but with 330k miles on the clock (a few rock chips and sagging headliner are only imperfections on whole car, even the door panels are nice) they are scrap/spare parts to be sold in parts and or with a disclaimer.
planning a top end rebuild with a cam and am pursuing a set of stainless headers, ifi can cut a decent blade from brass plate ill bore out a throttle body and build a knock off of millers "powerfold" bulged plenum m30 intake, the dyno numbers if accurate look intriguing, for management if anybody saw my m6 build on big coupe or mye28 that frankentronic system i built the run the high compression m88/3 will eventually make it onto the m30b35 in what for the moment ive named the waggone, for those (everybody i am positive) that don't know its basically a motronic 3.3.1 red label 413 and harness from a m50tu 525 that i stuck a ostrich prom emulator into and laptop tuned, the m50 harness almost perfectly draped over the m88/3, all i had to do after building a cam sensor to take the place of the distributor .......blah blah blah long story short i had a 1985 m635 big cam high compression basket of snakes headers m88/3 running fully sequential with knock sensors and a 3.5" 540 maf and coil pacs, shouldn't take much to drape that over a m30b35 and plug right into the 525 body plugs as that is where its from then re tune.
when anything amusing takes place ill post it up with pics but the build hasn't started yet and the car is still strapped to the trailer in the side yard

bimmer nut
10-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Welcome home.

winfred
10-25-2017, 09:23 PM
got some toys in the mail 8590 nickle for thickness comparison 8591 schmiedmann 3mm reinforced basket of snakes, not quite as naughty looking as my dearly departed m88/3 but pretty spiffy 8592

bimmer nut
10-26-2017, 05:11 AM
Wow, they both look great. And talk about thick, very nice.

ryan roopnarine
11-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Basically disappears for the entirety of the Obama Administration, and then pops back up out of nowhere. Nice. Good to see you.

MBXB
11-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Welcome back!

winfred
11-18-2017, 09:23 PM
HA, well not totally disappeared, if ya ever watched the tv show "sons of guns" some of the toys were built, repaired or modified by me, even managed to not get edited out of every scene they shot with me in it and ugly up the discovery channel once in a while, well till will got convicted as being a massive pedophile, the first 3 episodes of season 6 will likely never see with light of day.
touring project is stalled awaiting parts delivery, the schrick cam that was supposed to be in stock at turner turned into will be shipped in jan along with the rockers

Basically disappears for the entirety of the Obama Administration, and then pops back up out of nowhere. Nice. Good to see you.

ryan roopnarine
11-26-2017, 10:04 PM
HA, well not totally disappeared, if ya ever watched the tv show "sons of guns" some of the toys were built, repaired or modified by me, even managed to not get edited out of every scene they shot with me in it and ugly up the discovery channel once in a while, well till will got convicted as being a massive pedophile, the first 3 episodes of season 6 will likely never see with light of day.
touring project is stalled awaiting parts delivery, the schrick cam that was supposed to be in stock at turner turned into will be shipped in jan along with the rockers

So you worked full-time or part-time for them or some such? I was going to type something about giraffe-neck , but then I realized that was a different show. I watched that show in 2011, back when there was a buttload of firearms related shows on Discovery. Additionally, I thought you mentioned years (would be a decade or more ago) about a manufacturer that called themselves "red-stick;" I always got confused and thought that maybe the sons-of-guns people and you were in some way connected.

Did you make receivers for anything?

winfred
11-29-2017, 09:52 PM
red stick and red jacket were the same company and kicked off the sons of guns show, ive built hundreds if not thousands of ak variants from demil parts kits and new parts, was always part time till i got burned out and quit red jacket, we'd already did the network pilot and i was liked so i came back when i could get away from german auto for tv stuff but because i wasn't there every day i guess the brass decided to limit my camera time as most of the time something i did/built and was filmed doing and had lines for got recast by someone else by time it aired, meh tv is a huge pain in the ass. the business is still running under a different name by joe https://www.aklysdefense.com/ as aklys defense and meaux guns https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x1458bcd1108f2bcf:0x2da7318cd9c4a5bb!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D116615569126036296712%26id%3D634035 6576015280722%26target%3DPHOTO!5sMeaux+guns+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-ZxAKHugTIpk/V_14tpaz6lI/AAAAAAAAAD0/NGYvqOq6mMo245yVLq8SRzl2MsO_mYX1wCLIBGAYYCw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih_fikoeXXAhUEh1QKHejXBtEQoioIfzAK charley my buddy is still involved too, the whole thing was amusing and if i had run with it full time i would've been an original cast member and part of the industry from the contacts created, if's and but's....... got to meet a few cool people and play with some fun toys, jessie james was a cool dude (big dude too, shaking hands is like grabbing onto a catchers mitt) and a normal guy

winfred
12-08-2017, 08:58 PM
sneaux and lots of it, well for loserana

632 Regal
12-10-2017, 05:24 AM
sneaux and lots of it, well for loserana

Im in yeaster TN now, snow that heavy and they shut the state down.

winfred
12-10-2017, 08:36 PM
yea they usually do that here as everybody looses their minds when the crystal meth starts falling, they did close 3 of the 4 closest mississippi river bridges but the main btr i12 bridge remained open, probably if it was 2 degrees colder it would've closed and the city would be paralyzed as you can't do squat around here without crossing a bridge

shogun
01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
your seat cable fix is still around, http://m.odometergears.com/howto/E34_Seat_Cables_Fix.pdf

632 Regal
02-02-2018, 01:58 PM
your seat cable fix is still around, http://m.odometergears.com/howto/E34_Seat_Cables_Fix.pdf

This is gold! I just don't go back there cause I didn't know how without busting things:

To get the back off of the seat you kind of push up and pull out at the bottom. You have to feel your way through it, here is one of the top clips.

winfred
02-03-2018, 11:29 PM
bahahahah, on the plus side turner finally shipped my cam and rockers and outta be here next week, less fun is its approaching time to spend more money on this thing with the cam on the way after a short 3-4 months "in stock" my ass!

winfred
07-22-2018, 09:12 PM
resumed working and spending moniez on this thing, my m30 was quite abused and its getting rings and bearings now, blocks all honed, cleaned and painted, got the pistons cleaned yesterday which took several hours due to the total groadyness of them, each one took 3 bathes in a can of chemdip aka liquid cancer, i have 3 one gallon cans but one ran off and hid so i was able to soak 2 at a time while the others were in my parts washer full of diesel and other fun things, so the shortblock is ready to assemble with a final cleaning.
the complete head went into the parts washer and i closed the lid and will worry about it next week, it and the timing cover are completely submerged being defunked, when it comes out it'll probably get pressure washed like the block did

632 Regal
07-24-2018, 03:08 PM
resumed working and spending moniez on this thing, my m30 was quite abused and its getting rings and bearings now, blocks all honed, cleaned and painted, got the pistons cleaned yesterday which took several hours due to the total groadyness of them, each one took 3 bathes in a can of chemdip aka liquid cancer, i have 3 one gallon cans but one ran off and hid so i was able to soak 2 at a time while the others were in my parts washer full of diesel and other fun things, so the shortblock is ready to assemble with a final cleaning.
the complete head went into the parts washer and i closed the lid and will worry about it next week, it and the timing cover are completely submerged being defunked, when it comes out it'll probably get pressure washed like the block did

Those bearings are nasty! Never changed the oil or something.

winfred
07-25-2018, 08:14 PM
yea, you can see the top rods and bottom mains have the worst of it as they are the most stressed

Those bearings are nasty! Never changed the oil or something.

632 Regal
07-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Was the crank wasted?

winfred
09-08-2018, 08:56 PM
nope all looked good and shiny, short block is built, cleaned up the ports in the head today with a little grinder action and got the valves lapped in and installed. its a bitch getting motivated to work on a vehicle in your off time when you do it for a living, i have almost everything to rebuild/replace every moving or wet part on the whole car, just gotta crowbar myself into the parts pile to make it happen

winfred
12-19-2018, 09:25 PM
86278628862986268625engines in, wired up and its running, the 260/6 a buddy scored for me is ****, won't stay in 1st running on jackstands much less on the ground, bought another tranny and my hatred for fedex is renewed, was supposed to be delivered friday (wednesday now) and it keeps getting pushed back another day, tracking put it in town friday........maybe it'll show up tomorrow, and not be destroyed, but i'm not holding my breath on either count as cluster**** begets cluster****.
the pretty 3mm schidemann stainless equal length headers actually do not fit a e34 despite the site saying lhd e34, so that was more fun cutting and welding em into something that's not hard into the floor, headers are plumbed to the cats but i haven't modified my knock off BB triflo to work yet, chinesium polished stainless, looks pretty good but only offered for 525, 540 and 750il, i got the 750 (i had a stock shortened 750il catback welded into my old 90 535, the fat pipes have a nice deep sound) and have a set of resonators from a 535 bb triflo i'm going to weld to the front of the 750 muffler pipes, that way it'll bolt up to the cat with minimal drama, before and after pics of the 456 header, had to knock 3.25" off and change directions twice, the included adapter turned backwards and shortened for the 123 header mirrored my 456, one more elbow got em both down where band clamps connect it to the cats.
the wiring was a hoot as the chassis is a 95 but the engine came from i'm guessing a 89 so the body plug was the wrong gender, and has 1/3 less wires, not my first rodeo, i think i have all the relevant stuff locked down and working (tach did stop working so something is up i need to bug chase).
e30 oil cooler upside down is nearly perfect, early e32 735 OF housing, ebay AN adapter kit plugged into that, shortened and swedged the AN hoses onto the e30 pipes

winfred
01-05-2019, 11:03 PM
it finally stopped raining after a month so i had the motivation to leave the house, final stage torqued the head and adjusted the valves, welded in the coil and air box mounts then took it for a 9 mile drive and tank of fuel, don't think anything fell off and the 2nd tranny works nice, my short shifter is a success with e36 m3 lever, delren rail mounts and turner urethane rear body mount, just about perfect feel. i think the o2 sensor from the 525 exhaust is crap and i bought a new one but can find it, tach comes up when started but drops back to zero and the brake fluid light is on, but not in the message bar, thats annoying

winfred
01-18-2019, 10:23 PM
dirty and unwashed but its alive
been on the road all week and nothings fallen off, billy sports, h&r's and full lemforder suspension replacement with m5 thrust arm bushings and aluminum lowers, 840 4 pot brembos on the front with 750il trailing arm/vented brake swap in the rear with matching slotted rotors all done, might tweak it a hair higher with upper springs pads on the bottom too in the front and some sort of something in the rear that ive not thought up yet, 4.10 pegleg out and 3.46 posi in, might build a 3.73 or find a 3.64 but that 4.10 had to go as it was buzzing bad on the interstate, math put it at 3050-3100 at 70 (cap's on way to fix cluster as tach is dead, works a little when its below 40* and cold start) and it just wasn't comfy, 3.46s dropped it to 2600. m5 oil temp gauge up and functioning as of this evening. seeing a drop or two of antifreeze at the evaporator drains so i guess a o-ring is seeping and its heater core time, might hit it with some barsleak and see if itll make spring/summer

winfred
01-19-2019, 12:18 PM
couple fresh shots of how it sits now
the current tool set at work

genphreak
01-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Nicely sorted vvaggone you have der now.

So the M30 is to end up an M88/3 running a 'Frankentronic'? You have gotta love that!

In many ways better as a keeper than the more 'plasticiszed M60'. All the right stuff you're doing there, glad to see you applying your years of wisdom to build perhaps the 'best ever' e34, eg. Touring/S38/Late Motronic/driveline/susp all maxed. Would love to see more detail on the exhaust you made, not to mention the implementation of the later Motronic.

For the suspension, you can add a fabricated delrin (or even alloy) spacer to add onto the perch on the rear shocks, or even replace the perch itself with a taller one if you use steel, assuming your shocks have removable pressed perches (many are welded to the tube, just depends which your type ended up being) and you can fab up something as strong. People have made 10mm Delrin ones that just slip on top of the old perch but I can't remember who. They can't be hard to fabricate up with a lathe, and a shock to measure off. I've no idea how well Delrin will last back there, but it is probably fine

The front height looks perfect to me, given that any amount of lift at the rear will cause it to drop more than you might expect.

winfred
01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
i have all of the frankentronic parts but unless i go wacky with the m30 itll likely not go in the car, i lightly joke that if i get bored it might grow a turbo but i wanna keep it comfy for the work trek, i do have a LS3 sitting the garage if i wanted to nuke that comfort part with extreme prejudice. the m88/3 is long sold as i didn't expect this project to fall in my lap (friend of a buddy tired of project creep aborting the whole thing for $2k with a auto m30b35 swap).
handles good and if we didn't have these massive horse grave speed bumps at the shop not sure id be thinking that hard about gaining a few mm of altitude back, i have the exhaust tucked about as high as itll go and still just barely bump the cat when going to lunch with a extra rider and just the front dropped, haven't had any riders since both ends but i know itll drag with 2, i wouldn't dream of taking my e30 down that driveway

632 Regal
01-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Very nice looking car! I saw that exhaust picture and wondered how you'd address it. You have like 2 retirements worth of tools...

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8630&d=1547866904

winfred
02-03-2019, 09:07 PM
its got 1100 miles on it now, caps didn't fix the tach nor did a different motherboard or ccm, i suspect a ground issue somewhere as the brake fluid light comes on as the tach dies, added electrical draw and cold weather keeps it working more then the second or so it works at start up, i may bypass the harness and see if that gets it working, works perfect during self test.
after a 360 mile 2 day trip to tech school i pinned down about a 5 mpg difference in the obcs mileage and recalibrated to .820 and see how that plays out, bout 300 of the trip was hwy at 70 and ended up at 23.5, i think it'll do 1-1.5 better pure hwy which jives with my old 90 535ia, it did around 25 on long trips cept for one 2200 mile trip where it did 27.4 on one tank with a mark-d chip and a 4.27 diff, the touring is a heavy pig and currently has a 3.46 so not sure how far from optimal i am.
lubed and cleaned the pano sunroof, leaks like a hole in a carwash and pissed the right floor wet once in the rain before i blew the drains, kinda annoying how small they are for the massive amount of channel they service, lip seals appear ok but i haven't checked em with paper to see how tight they are.
finally built my console plate, had a auto one with all but one clip intact to build onto
86348635863686378638863986408641864286438644864586 468647

winfred
02-06-2019, 10:14 PM
fixed a stripped window motor the usual way
you want the longest screw you can use without locking up the gear by going into the case behind the gear, maybe 13mm or so, the ones i used just scratched into the back case as i could hear it for a few seconds before it clearanced and ran clean.
got one more to do on the rf, thought i had 3 stripped buffers but the other rear had a bad connection that was stopping it, saw replacement gears from some german site but the price shipping was almost as much as the gear

632 Regal
02-16-2019, 07:30 PM
That console looks great man! A lot of work but wow. Nice.

winfred
02-25-2019, 10:31 PM
got 2k miles now, obc is dialed to with in a mpg over the last 2 tanks with .820 correction factor. finally got the tach working, couldn't find anything obvious on the tach wire with my scope but when i bypassed the harness it worked so something is obviously shorted, so the bypass was routed and is permanent.
got a bluetooth adapter for the cd43 part# LPBMRBWW (for when the link dies) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Music-Handsfree-MP3-CD-Changer-Adapter-BMW-E36-E46-Z3-Business-Radio/222871117391?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 good sound, phone works hands free but its a little quirky in that you need to jack up the volume for phone but it immediately switches to music and blows your eardrums when the call ends, i may play with the dipswitches and see if i can get the respective levels closer.
headliner recover will likely be next then or paint touch up, got a few yards of material and adhesive so its down to when i wanna get my dick stuck in my zipper i can start that little slice of fun

winfred
02-27-2019, 08:21 PM

winfred
04-20-2019, 09:05 AM
secure no fastener cupholder, 4' piece of aluminum makes whole thing, harbor freight ring roller does the hoop but anything could be attached to the support, used a plastic cap for the bottom to trap condensate and split loom for the edging, bottom flat piece is stuck under the console for a friction fit

632 Regal
04-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Will it work vertical or upside down?

If not perhaps Velcro be in order.

winfred
04-20-2019, 10:43 PM
the holder will likely stay in position inverted, not concerned if it doesn't retain its cup if inversion occurs, additional concerns would occupy my attention in that eventuality

632 Regal
04-22-2019, 01:58 AM
the holder will likely stay in position inverted, not concerned if it doesn't retain its cup if inversion occurs, additional concerns would occupy my attention in that eventuality

Hahaha... wondering if you read these.

winfred
08-10-2019, 11:07 AM
electric fan conversion is up and running, i wanna redo the wiring with better stuff for my own amusement as its only a prototype and i didn't have anything better then a roll of trailer wire and butt connectors when i put it together, the loaded parts are doubled or quad'd up to carry the load and nothing is soldered or heat shrinked. i used the gm style 3 relay of fan control, only needs two grounds to control and no resistors, in low it runs the fans in series and parallel for high, i added a 4th relay triggered by switched power so the fans are powered down with the car. i think the fan set is from a 2011 gmc terrain and with a little cutting/grinding it fits the e32 750 radiator im using pretty good (wouldn't work on a e34 width radiator) but it barely clears the distributor cap and only 1/2" off the crank pulley, not optimal but it was free.
so nice not having the fan roaring away pulling off at every light for the last 3 days

winfred
08-10-2019, 11:10 AM
also how the hell did this thread get 6 digit views?! musta popped up in a heavily used search keyword

winfred
08-23-2019, 10:42 AM
for a half mil views rotfl guess i'd better post a couple pics

632 Regal
09-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Looks so clean, very nice!

winfred
09-03-2019, 10:40 PM
fans may've helped mileage slightly, my drive cycle changes just enough to vary it a mpg or so, but its trending up .5 or so maybe, sooooooo nice to have consistent acceleration on a 97-99 degree drive home without the roaring fan, also doesn't drift up during extended idling but i have yet to hear the fans kick into high

winfred
09-07-2019, 10:28 PM
for whatever almost certainly unrelated to the content of the thread reason this is about to crest 2 mil views, figured id load up something fun from the show https://youtu.be/9nALL_bQm9Q

winfred
09-15-2019, 08:40 PM

started headliner project and did the front section (tourings have a 4 piece headliners vs the one piece board of a sedan) epoxied a piece of wood into the hatch to eliminate the always crap falling out panel that never fits right with aftermarket headlining material, made a hole to access the screw in event of motor failure, to replace the motor its easy enough to just take the header out. swapped in a rear light cargo area single switch dual bulb light for the standard map light style dome light.
not wild about the color but its better then the flapping original, i can spray dye it but that would give it the texture of sand paper, i do plan to spray the sunroof panels to match, may spray the visors to match, haven't decided.
the wrinkles seen in the fresh pics are gone the next day

genphreak
10-16-2019, 01:37 AM
started headliner project and did the front section
Looking good. The timber blank does nail that old chestnut fairly squarely. You can fix the e34 map+dome light, but probably best to retrofit an e39/e46 lamp or the like instead. Nothing like practical fixes like this on design issues that invariably result in ongoing PITA problems!

winfred
12-26-2019, 11:41 AM
after 9k miles in its first year it earned the 3

winfred
12-26-2019, 11:42 AM
goddamn iphone

632 Regal
12-27-2019, 08:11 PM
3K no issues then? Good job man!

winfred
12-27-2019, 10:03 PM
right at 9000 miles the cluster finally popped up oil service, as i was changing it the 3rd time.....

Barney Paull-Edwards
02-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Let's hope your jokes have improved!