PDA

View Full Version : E34 540i left auxiliary bracket gasket replacement.

samjvella
08-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Hey everyone!

So, I took my 1994 e34 540i to get an engine check up, and the mechanic pointed out an oil leak that I should fix. He said it was the left 'auxiliary' bracket gasket - I'm not sure if this is what it's actually called, however its the bracket on the left side of the m60b40 engine and the alternator bolts to it. The gasket between it and the block is leaking.

I'm not too confident in finding the part number for the gasket, or even a breakdown of the steps involved in fixing this, so I figured I'd ask you guys as you might know where to start.
This is my first time posting so please forgive me if this has already been asked - I'll take all the help I can get!

Cheers,
Samuel.

632 Regal
08-07-2016, 03:25 AM
Hi Sam,

Can you take a picture of the area where it's leaking? I would go out and check that area on my car but it's kinda dark now and think your leak might be traveling from another area.

samjvella
08-07-2016, 04:44 AM
Hi Sam,

Can you take a picture of the area where it's leaking? I would go out and check that area on my car but it's kinda dark now and think your leak might be traveling from another area.

Hey! Yeah I'll get under my car when I get the chance this week and see if I can get a good photo of it. Where do you suspect it might be leaking from?

Sam.

shogun
08-07-2016, 05:00 AM
Do you have the VIN of the car? Last 7 digits is enough, then we can check on www.realoem.com

mattyb
08-09-2016, 08:23 AM
so much going on at that side of the block. I have had 2 540's and the only egress of fluids issue I ever had was the power steering fluid reservoir and associated hoses etc. never seen engine oil. what colour is the oil / fluid?
welcome to the site by the way!!

samjvella
08-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Woah, thanks for getting interested guys!
Alright, so today I jacked up the car, took off the lower engine cover (if that's what it's called) and had a look at what I could see. The oil has run down the left side, and can be seen on the alternator mounting bolts, the left side engine mount etc. It's really quite difficult to see up there, but the oil is definitely leaking from somewhere above and in-line with the rear of the alternator. It appears that it's leaking from the front of the engine (on the left hand side). So I looked as far up the front of the left side of the engine as I could, and I'm 80% confident that the oil is leaking from the left timing chain cover.

The timing chain cover is the only thing I can think of that could be leaking there, other than the head gasket (oh please no). But the mechanic also told me that my timing chain covers were leaking too, so I'm pretty sure that is what the culprit is. I think he might have been getting confused with a newer model engine when he mentioned an 'auxiliary bracket gasket', because I can't seem to find anything about that for the m60b40.

The last 7 digits of my VIN are GF21220 by the way.
The leaking fluid is definitely oil as well.

(P.S I've tried to attach photos but I can't figure out why it's not working?)

632 Regal
08-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Alright, so today I jacked up the car, took off the lower engine cover (if that's what it's called) and had a look at what I could see. The oil has run down the left side, and can be seen on the alternator mounting bolts, the left side engine mount etc. It's really quite difficult to see up there, but the oil is definitely leaking from somewhere above and in-line with the rear of the alternator. It appears that it's leaking from the front of the engine (on the left hand side). So I looked as far up the front of the left side of the engine as I could, and I'm 80% confident that the oil is leaking from the left timing chain cover.

The timing chain cover is the only thing I can think of that could be leaking there, other than the head gasket (oh please no). But the mechanic also told me that my timing chain covers were leaking too, so I'm pretty sure that is what the culprit is. I think he might have been getting confused with a newer model engine when he mentioned an 'auxiliary bracket gasket', because I can't seem to find anything about that for the m60b40.

Pictures on this VB are a challenge but can be done and also very helpful. Other thing you can do is host them and just post the link. Here is one that's free but no idea what it takes to use them. Supposed to be annonomous. : https://postimage.org/ No affiate but like to be unknown if it works.

Have to second the power steering leak. Both my 530s has had steering leaks described exactly as you did. Soaking down and around and the exact point is a MF. Once the supposed to be green steering fluid travels it meets black and looks like engine oil. They do taste different in a small way though.

Try to wipe clean all the steering pump and hoses and connections and go from there.

If a valve cover gasket (common) you will have oil around the spark plugs. (95% of valve cover gaskets come in this variety, no leaking outside tho).

Your mechanic is setting you up for a cheap buy on your car. Seen this so many times it makes me sick.

Definitely post back, I love finding out the problems and solutions.

samjvella
08-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Pictures on this VB are a challenge but can be done and also very helpful. Other thing you can do is host them and just post the link. Here is one that's free but no idea what it takes to use them. Supposed to be annonomous. : https://postimage.org/ No affiate but like to be unknown if it works.

Have to second the power steering leak. Both my 530s has had steering leaks described exactly as you did. Soaking down and around and the exact point is a MF. Once the supposed to be green steering fluid travels it meets black and looks like engine oil. They do taste different in a small way though.

Try to wipe clean all the steering pump and hoses and connections and go from there.

If a valve cover gasket (common) you will have oil around the spark plugs. (95% of valve cover gaskets come in this variety, no leaking outside tho).

Your mechanic is setting you up for a cheap buy on your car. Seen this so many times it makes me sick.

Definitely post back, I love finding out the problems and solutions.

Hey!
Thanks for the input and advice. I'll get around to posting up some photos when I get the chance, the more help I can get with my beasty ole' 540 I'll take!
I'm certain it's not a power steering leak though. The leak is definitely originating from above my power steering hoses and pump on that side of the engine (can see the wetness of fresh oil leaking from higher up on the engine), although it's always possible that there is a power steering leak in conjunction with my oil leak.
If you'd like to know more about my car, here's a quick write up of my story with it so far:

My car is a 1994 540i, which I purchased 4 months ago from an airline pilot on the Gold Coast in Queensland, with 310000 km on the clock. I was sold as soon as he started it - it purred nicely and I couldn't get over the sexy looks and handling.
When I bought the car, I had a trusted mechanic go through and list everything wrong with the car. He was pretty thorough, and I took that list and fixed everything on it so I could get the roadworthy so I could transfer the car into my name. That list included:

Lower control arms
Leaking rocker cover gaskets
Automatic transmission leak from a wiring harness plug
Leaking power steering box
Other random things.

So, I went ahead and fixed my rocker cover gaskets, and painted my rocker covers nice and red while I was at it. I also changed the control arms, and while doing so realised my tie-rod ends and sway bar links were also trashed, so I replaced them as well. I had the power steering box rebuilt, and paid a mechanic to 'fix' the automatic transmission leak.
All-in-all, I really like the car. It feels solid, and the engine runs nicely with no weird noises. I love the car for highway driving.... it sits at 120 km/h without even trying.
I recently replaced my rear dogbone pitman arms and made a video showing how to do so, which can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5fQrBZdkg

Give that video a look if you're curious about my car/about me.

Now, I'm pretty young but I love fixing cars up in my spare time (which isn't much given my uni degree), and have recently discovered my passion for cars. I've decided to go all out and upgrade my 540 just because I can. So over the next year I've got some big plans for it which I'll make videos about and probably make a post or two as well. I've got new Eibach and bilstein shocks and springs coming from England to replace my tired old suspension, and I'm currently sourcing all the parts to do a manual swap. My automatic transmission is one its way out... and I'm pretty confident that was hurried along by the mechanic who 'fixed' my leak. Ever since he worked on it, it's felt jerky and won't shift when cold. Gives me a reason to do a manual swap I guess... and one more reason NOT to trust a bloody mechanic.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured you might find it interesting.

Samuel.

632 Regal
08-13-2016, 02:55 PM
You say you had the steering box rebuilt, how easy was it to remove and reinstall? My box is real bad but the CHF202 has stopped the leak.

samjvella
08-17-2016, 09:34 AM
You say you had the steering box rebuilt, how easy was it to remove and reinstall? My box is real bad but the CHF202 has stopped the leak.

Hey! I heard that the power steering box is a pita to remove and install, and since I was getting it fully rebuilt I had a professional do it for me. Usually I don't pay people to work on my car but this was an exception. It wasn't cheap - around $700 AUD for the whole job.

632 Regal
08-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Hey! I heard that the power steering box is a pita to remove and install, and since I was getting it fully rebuilt I had a professional do it for me. Usually I don't pay people to work on my car but this was an exception. It wasn't cheap - around $700 AUD for the whole job.

Not bad, concidering I got this car for 1500 I'll pass and wait until I find a 540 or an 4.0 engine and change it out at that time. lol My 94 pulled like a freight train on the highway where this 95 is weak as a paper plane. I really think that the 94 might have had a nikasil 4 litre transplanted into it.

Jehu
08-29-2016, 09:55 PM

I had a leak from my left upper timing chain cover.. replacing the gasket stopped the leak..

At the time some suggested the lower TC Cover gasket was also leaking but it proved to be confined to the left upper..

have you cleaned and checked the oil inlet and outlet hoses?

I recently have an alternator fire and those hoses were affected being right above the back of the alt..