PDA

View Full Version : Carsoft 6.5 SP1 will reset airbag on '91 E32 + '88 E34

Kibokojoe
05-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Finally discovered the sequence for resetting the SRS light using Carsoft 6.5 with the sp1 upgrade
I have tested a 1991 735i e32 m30 also a 1988 535i e34 m30

Turn on computer
Install 20pin connector, BMW OBDI&II module and RS232 9 pin connector between car and computer
Turn on ignition key to position 2 (where all the dash lights come on) but don't start the car
Start the Carsoft program
Select erase airbag then
Select single diagnosis for airbag
Turn ignition key off
Turn ignition key back on to position 2 and watch the SRS light go out in about 5 to 10 seconds.

Very satisfying :)

If you select diagnosis first it will not clear. You must erase then single diagnosis.
I put the battery charger on the battery while diagnosing since there are fans that run and can wear down the battery.
You can see below what happens if you diagnose first, Carsoft will not see (module does not respond) the airbag module, but for some reason Carsoft will see the airbag module if you erase first.

genphreak
05-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Well done, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I hit so many bugs with it I never persisted to discover something that works in Carsoft.

Do you use it for anything else?

Kibokojoe
05-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Well done, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I hit so many bugs with it I never persisted to discover something that works in Carsoft.

Do you use it for anything else?

I have scanned using the live data feature a 2000 528i. Found a number of faults that used to show up years ago but I had replaced parts like a sensor on the abs. I have now cleared all of these. I am waiting to get a cheap laptop so I can run the software on it. I am currently running antivirus software on my home computer and carsoft and antivirus don't play well together. If I have a dedicated laptop I don't have to access the Internet all the time and will have less headaches.

genphreak
05-27-2016, 02:09 AM
I have scanned using the live data feature a 2000 528i. Found a number of faults that used to show up years ago but I had replaced parts like a sensor on the abs. I have now cleared all of these. I am waiting to get a cheap laptop so I can run the software on it. I am currently running antivirus software on my home computer and carsoft and antivirus don't play well together. If I have a dedicated laptop I don't have to access the Internet all the time and will have less headaches.

It's a shame, it takes a lot of testing/messing around. Only a few features in the third-party generic software packages work with ADS equipped cars- and of those that do, the software never knows if a given feature does or doesn't on the type of car selected (esp. if it is ADS), so 'just trying' invariably means waiting for communication interface time-outs to expire (so is very taxing on patience).

BMW software doesn't suffer this as they test it with the exact interfaces used and each model. And of course, only they know their own modules, despite the age we live in.

I use an old XP unit that is stripped down to the bare bones, non-admin user with no antivirus or anything like that- it runs DIS and has to remain functional, so it never goes online, I just output the data to my normal machine for web-related analysis.

EDIT: Pretty good that you got it to play well with an E39- the ABS faults can be painful... Good luck

Kibokojoe
05-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am new to this automotive analysis software but am a computer geek. Use to work for Just Flight in the UK creating flight sim software. It was a lot of fun. Didn't get a lot of sleep since I also had a full time job so I could feed the family. Right now I have Carsoft 6.5 and BMW scanner 1.4.0. Was going to use scanner to reprogram a 2000 528i LCM. You say you have "DIS" what is DIS?.

It's a shame, it takes a lot of testing/messing around. Only a few features in the third-party generic software packages work with ADS equipped cars- and of those that do, the software never knows if a given feature does or doesn't on the type of car selected (esp. if it is ADS), so 'just trying' invariably means waiting for communication interface time-outs to expire (so is very taxing on patience).

BMW software doesn't suffer this as they test it with the exact interfaces used and each model. And of course, only they know their own modules, despite the age we live in.

I use an old XP unit that is stripped down to the bare bones, non-admin user with no antivirus or anything like that- it runs DIS and has to remain functional, so it never goes online, I just output the data to my normal machine for web-related analysis.

EDIT: Pretty good that you got it to play well with an E39- the ABS faults can be painful... Good luck

genphreak
05-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am new to this automotive analysis software but am a computer geek. Use to work for Just Flight in the UK creating flight sim software. It was a lot of fun. Didn't get a lot of sleep since I also had a full time job so I could feed the family. Right now I have Carsoft 6.5 and BMW scanner 1.4.0. Was going to use scanner to reprogram a 2000 528i LCM. You say you have "DIS" what is DIS?.
Have a look at http://www.e38.org/dis_troubleshooting.pdf. Older versions of the DIS work on SCO 5 which is commonly run as a virtual machine ona laptop.

There is a win32 server program that emulates the GT1 interface unit, handling calls to/from the DIS software in software on a Windows host. This is configured to talk to the physical ADS interface via a COM port on the virtual host (it has many external interface options), allowing you to connect to all kinds of physical ports (not just the old L line) ADS interface and 20 pin plug. You can use BMW OBD, OBD-II and so on too. Later versions of the DIS have different/updated interfaces that use all sorts of weird and wonderful optical connectivity (anything other than a common garden data bus it seems). After all, they could have just used USB instead of OBD diagnostic ports (or even both), not to mention direct RS-232 (for example) instead of the L-line/ADS stuff.

Sheeeeeeeyat!