PDA

View Full Version : tie rod?? (with video)

PhilipJCaputo
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I've noticed that I can grab each front wheel on the sides and move them back and forth.

Also while I was up under the car the tie rod (I think thats what it is), the bard that connects under the center of the car, rotates when I move the wheels.

I can also rotate the tie rod by hand, which causes the wheels to move...

check out the video for more detail.... I'm thinking something is wrong with the tie rod... :(

Tie Rod Video (750K) (http://www.nickwalton.com/e34/tierod.wmv)

Brian C.
06-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Sorry I don't really know the answer to the problem Philip, but I'd say that maybe your tierod bushings need replacement or something.

BUT, the video was great! Now, if you could only get to Orlando, FL and video Ryan trying to remove the tire from his rim, I'm sure that at least a thousand or so folks here would be forever in your debt! Instant "America's Funniest Car Repair" Grand Prize winner too!

Brian C.
:p

Bill R.
06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
definitely bad....

ryan roopnarine
06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
was gonna call you "brisco" from law and order, but i'm too obsessed with that show to defile it like that, so.....

alright, CSI MIAMI, i believe I was the first person (or possibly second or third or forth) to ask a video question, last year, when i video recorded my check engine light giving back a "garbage" response. so chew on that!

Sorry I don't really know the answer to the problem Philip, but I'd say that maybe your tierod bushings need replacement or something.

BUT, the video was great! Now, if you could only get to Orlando, FL and video Ryan trying to remove the tire from his rim, I'm sure that at least a thousand or so folks here would be forever in your debt! Instant "America's Funniest Car Repair" Grand Prize winner too!

Brian C.
:p

PhilipJCaputo
06-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I dunno... the video just makes sence.... Whip out the cannon s230, record the problem.... throw the video into windows movie maker get some better compression, and blammo! now everyone knows exactly what the problem is like!

(I just hope that I don't exceed the montly bandwidth with my domain hoster)

video is in, just like "the information super highway" buzz word! :p

632 Regal
06-21-2004, 02:56 PM
From what I sea here... that inner rod is wasted! Also looks like the pitman arm bushing might be shot too but was kinda hard to see for sure.

Bill R.
06-21-2004, 03:00 PM
From what I sea here... that inner rod is wasted! Also looks like the pitman arm bushing might be shot too but was kinda hard to see for sure.

632 Regal
06-21-2004, 05:20 PM
that supports the other side of the draglink besides the steering arm?

I really should learn how to use that ETK.

Bill R.
06-21-2004, 05:28 PM
other end of the center link you have the idler arm... the idler arm has a bushing or bearing that it pivots in.

that supports the other side of the draglink besides the steering arm?

I really should learn how to use that ETK.