PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket heater valves and aux water pump info

shogun
05-08-2016, 06:51 AM
I have never seen an aftermarket heater valve for the E34, E32 , E31 till recently I found one on Ebay. So far only Hella and Behr which were the original suppliers. Of course I was a bit hesitant to order the aftermarket pump and my one still works fine. On one U.K. forum some time ago someone with a E32 had a limited budget to replace the original heater valves from Bosch or Hella and the original aux water pump from Bosch or Hella.

Problem: I have had a feeling for some time that the drivers side ventilation system is not working properly, this week with a full load and damp conditions it was very noticeable. I kept having to use the demist button to keep things visible.
Basic problem I notice is lack of airflow at the screen vent and the drivers side temperature not getting particularly hot when compared to the passenger side. I suspect the two things are connected. Is it a fair assumption that one of the heater flaps is not working correctly? Possibly due to a faulty stepper motor or more likely a linkage that is either damaged/faulty in some way? The passenger side seems to work fine and the pollen filter has only done 3000 miles so I can rule that out i think. I did wonder at one time if the heater control valve under the bonnet was faulty, but normally they fail open not closed and that would not account for lack of airflow.I know the ventilation system is pretty complicated on the car, but before I start dismantling the drivers side of the dash/centre console are there any known weak points? I appreciate there is a possibility of a faulty sensor somewhere, but without access to any software I thought I could investigate the mechanical side first (at least when the weather improves a bit, as it would get done in the drive) as being the most likely.Anyone had any particular faults/solutions that might save me some time?
-------------
quick move forward, we found the problem : heater valves and aux water pump.

So I gave him the link to that aftermarket heater valves for only $ 69.97, New Heater Control Valve Hot Water Solenoid for BMW E31 E34 525 535 64118391417, 90 days warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201439644735?fits=Make:BMW&hash=item2ee6bd0c3f:g:E4YAAOSwNgxWCyAH&item Ebay seller name: parts_links. Other BMW items they sell
http://www.ebay.com/sch/parts_links/m.html?item=&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item2ee6bd0c3f%3Ag%3AE4YAAOSwNgxWCyAH&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 I found also aftermarket heater valves for E36, E39, E53, E60, E63, E64, E34, E32, E31

and for the aux water pump I recommended a BOSCH universal auxiliary additional electric water pump for car/vehicle/heating
Brand: Bosch, other Part Numbers: 8E0261431, 90509271, 4395612, 90448286 Manufacturer Part Number: 0 392 020 034
Description : Nominal voltage : 12 V, Delivery : 750 dm3/h (750 litres in 1 hour), Delivery pressure : 0.1 bar, Direction of rotation : R, Weight : 0.4 kg, Length : 150 mmDiameter of metal housing : 41 mm, Diameter of plastic housing : 48.5 mm
Diameter of plastic housing with bolts : 61 mm, Inlet diameter : 20 mm Outlet diameter : 20 mm.
Manufacturer BOSCH, Number 0 392 020 034, Description: Water Pump, parking heater; Additional Water Pump, Cross numbers DELPHI 007669, FERRARI 654603, MASERATI 654603, OPEL 90448286, OPEL 90509271, SAAB 90448286, SCANIA 4395612, VAUXHALL 90509271, VOLKSWAGEN 8E026143 according to this site https://infopart.org/bosch-0392020034-part

Price $50 plus shipping from Estonia, seller: autodetus http://stores.ebay.com/autodetus the Bosch pumps are also available from US sellers, just search around with the Bosch # or VW etc

So this aux water pump conveys 200 liter per hour less than the original BMW pump, which has 950 l/h. But the price of the original BMW pump is more than double. Also the connecting plug is different from BMW as well as total dimensions, so has to be worked on. He just received them and installed them and here are his comments, no long time experience available so far of course:

Posted 28 March 2016
the universal pump looks pretty much a direct replacement dimensionally, only difference (and I think it is insignificant) is the body diameter of original which I have measured at 45mm compared to 41mm on BMW item but circular clamp should take care of that. I doubt the difference in pump capacity will be noticeable and I am sure I can overcome alternative electrical connection. Many thanks I will get one of these
----------------
Posted Yesterday,
An update on this. I have ordered and received both the Bosch universal auxiliary water pump, and the aftermarket heater valve.
The heater valve is most interesting, if I did not know better I would say the mouldings came from original tooling. My old valve has part numbers moulded in 2 places. The aftermarket has the same numbers moulded in the same places. All things considered it looks a nice unit and much better than i expected, plus it fits perfectly. The moulded numbers whilst the same, are raised more on the new part than the old, but then my original could well have been produced on worn tooling. Even the same type face has been used, so somebody has gone to a lot of trouble.I have started to fit replacement units, but run out of time this evening so hopefully will finish and try HVAC this weekend.

Universal pump fits fine on heater valve, it just required a small spacer to stand it off 5mm.
-------------------
Posted Today
Finished fitting everything back this afternoon and did a 25 mile run in the car, the heater valve/pump seems to work fine, certainly it was controlling the temp up and down as requested. In terms of how good valve is, my initial reaction is very positive, but of course it really depends on how good it is in a few years time. Certainly I have control of the HVAC system now plus a/c was working well on what must have been our warmest day of the year so far.