PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions on valve adjustment on the BigSix M30b35

Jazz_89
03-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Hello altogether,

since about a year, I am trying to gradually overhaul the engine...so the next thing on the list is valve cover gasket and valve adjustment (maybe PCV lines as well).

But, because the procedure according to Haynes seems pretty complicated :):

-Is the M30b35 an interference engine, i.e. do I screw up if the valvetrain is incorrectly adjusted?
-Which setting is better for valve clearance test? Hot or cold?
-Is it necessary to remove the spark plugs to turn the crankshaft over? (risk of crossthreading the delicate aluminum head)
-Do I really have to remove the distributor cap to find TopDeadCenter?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

whiskychaser
03-05-2016, 03:21 PM
1. Yes it is and no you won't. But don't be tempted to set them lower than spec
2. Whatever the book says. Given a choice, cold is better so you don't burn your fingers
3. No. But it is much easier
4. No. Use timing marks. Or if you can't find them, remove a spark plug and stick a long screwdriver down the hole. Stop at highest point

Worth remembering: An M30 is ok if it sounds like a sewing machine. If it sounds like a factory full of sewing machines, you have a problem

shogun
03-06-2016, 02:50 AM
valve adjustment
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_5.htm

whiskychaser explains it nicely:
Worth remembering: An M30 is ok if it sounds like a sewing machine. If it sounds like a factory full of sewing machines, you have a problem

genphreak
03-08-2016, 09:40 PM
valve adjustment
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_5.htmGayle has a way with words there, the first time I did it I couldn't figure out how to get the feel for the way to verify TDC accurately and then get the right amount of feel between the gauge, the lobe and follower. If you're new to doing this job, read and re-read Gayle's sage words, he's dead on!

Jazz_89
03-09-2016, 01:32 AM
Alright, I will study his description in detail. I become aware, about the "banjo bolt issue" on the M30. Is it important to allign the two holes with the pipe? Should I squeeze the bar to prevent unequal lubrication of back-front lobes?
thanks