PDA

View Full Version : Thrust / control arm replacement

632 Regal
01-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Only did the drivers side today. Took about 3 1/2 hours because I had to replace the strut also with the cheap china sensen or whatever they are (I'll look it up later). The aluminum control arm balljoint totally dry, lots of play (lots!). The thrust arm was total gumby at the bushing, the balljoint was loose but didnt have a lot of slop but there was a bit.

Went for a test drive and the violent braking shimmy is gone! I would call it a complete sucess except I forgot to reassemble the anti sway bar link that my wife kept hacking on me to do. Time I got it on ramps to tighten the arms daylight was gone so I completely missed it. I will hit that tomorrow if it don't rain or snow.

I will do the other side when another decent day comes along and my legs heal. I forgot all about how intense this is for the body since I used to have a garage to work in. Now it is a trip to grab each socket and wrench as I go. Kinda sucks but I figure it only added an hour or so.

Once I do the other side I'll take pictures of this old stuff, really impressive of failed old parts.

Dave M
01-14-2016, 08:37 PM
It's been at least 10 years since I did this job. I recall how tight the control arms are pressed into the knuckle. I've got upper and lower control arms in a box, will likley get new shocks as well, and will be tackling it all again once the new garage is complete ;) Trim, radiant heater install, paint and we're in business. If/when the canadian $ regains some ground, the 2-post lift will be added.

Good job tough guy,

Dave M