PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Ring Nut

Clarksonvalley
10-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Has anyone ever torqued to Bilstein B8 series 'Sport Shock' ring nut to the required 95 ft. lb. on a 1995 540i front shock? There is a special tool, see the photo, for tightening this nut.

My question is - how do you know you have reached 95 ft. lb. when the torque wrench is not centered on the axis of the nut but rather to the side of the nut when using the special tool?

632 Regal
10-18-2015, 02:18 PM
I used a pipe wrench and 'winged it'. I know how much 100ft lbs is and tightened them up. You happen to have a couple stock ring nuts around? I could use some.

Clarksonvalley
10-18-2015, 02:44 PM
I found the answer to the torque wrench question on the Internet - here is the link:

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

I've replaced one front shock and will be replacing the other tomorrow. I'll have a ring nut from the old shock if you want it - the other ring nut is in the West County Landfill by now. Let me know if you want the one I have.

I've been chasing a hammering noise in the left front suspension - I'm thinking it is because I don't have the ring nut tight enough and the shock is moving around inside the strut tower. I've already replaced the tie rods and sway bar drop links and the 'hammering' is still there. Have you ever had this problem?

632 Regal
10-18-2015, 02:50 PM
I've been chasing a hammering noise in the left front suspension - I'm thinking it is because I don't have the ring nut tight enough and the shock is moving around inside the strut tower. I've already replaced the tie rods and sway bar drop links and the 'hammering' is still there. Have you ever had this problem?

Yes I have, if it is a light knocking it could be the nut. If it's heavy it could be a bad strut which I recently posted. PS I have the dead one hanging out still if you need it for warranty purposes.

I sure would appreciate that stock collar nut, PM me.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/44814-Front-end-rattle?highlight=bilstein

Clarksonvalley
10-18-2015, 02:55 PM
I looked at your post again - do you need Bilstein 'Sport Shock' ring nuts or the stock BMW ring nuts? If you need the stock BMW ones, I have two new still in the wrapper - BMW part no. 31-32-1-129-196.

632 Regal
10-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Stock ones! The stock bumpstops dont work well with the bilstein nuts.

I'll send a PM.

Clarksonvalley
10-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Where or how does a strut go bad??? I sent you an email with a photo of the stock BMW ring nuts that I have.

632 Regal
10-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Where or how does a strut go bad??? I sent you an email with a photo of the stock BMW ring nuts that I have.

I have no idea how they go bad but they do. I have not taken the latest apart incase someone eventually needs it. Not sure where that email goes so I'll PM you my addy.

PS email addy was spelled wrong in my profile.